PDA

View Full Version : Busted

Moo
17-02-13, 08:24 PM
Just been busted on Salisbury Plain after about 30 seconds offroad part of a big clampdown on illegal riding on the plain, never seen so many police and wardens, backed up by the Army. New head
bearings, sunny day, tasty brunch in Amesbury and some nice lanes soon cheered me up though :)

If anyone is thinking of going, keep it legal.

There always used to be an exemption for motorcycles that were "designed or adapted for primary off road use" does anyone know if this is still true? This is primarily for information as the advice seems to be to pay up and not to engage in an argument over the issue.

wiltshire builders
17-02-13, 08:57 PM
How busted?

Moo
18-02-13, 05:43 AM
Oops edited the important bit out!! Small number plate, everything else legal! £30 fine :( Same as you would get for a small plate on the road.

QB1
18-02-13, 07:52 AM
I was out on the plain on Sunday walking the dogs and thought their was a lot of activity going on. Wardens everywhere.

Mind you one bike near Earlstoke was so damn loud they could probably hear it in Salisbury.

Geordie Stu
18-02-13, 08:28 AM
Hmmm starting a collection for their Summer Party ::) ;D
Unlucky Moo hope id didn't spoil your day

BB
18-02-13, 05:10 PM
You have to be on the legal byways that are open to all traffic or if restricted byways PTW's must be allowed. Regarding the bike you have to be street legal, simples :)

BB

Scotty
18-02-13, 06:29 PM
Yeah, but a small plate on an (otherwise legal) off-roader on the Plain for heaven's sake! After any half decent bit of off-roading a number plate is totally illegible, no matter how large or small it is, and if it started off as a full-size jobby it's likely to end up smaller in one way or another due to breaking following contact with the ground, a tree, or some other solid object. I shall have to peruse the pages of TBM to see if I can find anyone who makes full-sized bendy plates ::)

Dabz
18-02-13, 07:11 PM
Was gonna say - its all very well insisting on full sized plates but I know from experience that they snap for a pastime

Maz
19-02-13, 12:33 PM
quite agree street legal. I tried to get my XVS off roading and got stuck was a complete blonde moment! :D ;D

Salisbury plain isnt a good place to go off roading on a cruiser...

wiltshire builders
19-02-13, 05:22 PM
Did you try explaining that you pay their wages and that they should be catching real criminals or beating up handcuffed women or murdering newspaper vendors?
I'm sure once this was pointed out they would send you on your way with cheerie smile and a wink.
I find the same approach works well on surly doormen and doctors receptionists too.

benobiker
19-02-13, 05:40 PM
Did you try explaining that you pay their wages and that they should be catching real criminals or beating up handcuffed women or murdering newspaper vendors?
I'm sure once this was pointed out they would send you on your way with cheerie smile and a wink.
I find the same approach works well on surly doormen and doctors receptionists too.

Yeah,...... what is it with DR's receptionists!

Moo
19-02-13, 06:32 PM
Got my stock of new extra large number plates which I will be distributing for free around the byways of Wiltshire over the coming months!

What is the fine for not having a number plate at all? Is it better to ride without one or to carry a small reserve one in your pocket?

This is of course in the event that the full size one meets its maker and not as the default course of action before anyone tells me off :)

wiltshire builders
19-02-13, 08:21 PM
Got my stock of new extra large number plates which I will be distributing for free around the byways of Wiltshire over the coming months!

What is the fine for not having a number plate at all? Is it better to ride without one or to carry a small reserve one in your pocket?

This is of course in the event that the full size one meets its maker and not as the default course of action before anyone tells me off :)
It's the same offence.
Like having no tax or having tax and not displaying it.

Moo
27-02-13, 05:39 PM
Yippee, got a nice letter from the Polis this morning saying the penalty had been cancelled as "the wrong type of ticket was issued for the offence". It seems the Sun was really shining that day :)

And yes I do now have a full sized plate on my off road motorcycle - lesson learned.

Swanny
27-02-13, 05:59 PM
Excellent [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Jimbok4
27-02-13, 06:10 PM
Nice 1 moo :)
I never get letters like that , just ones with photographs of me caught in action ;D

wiltshire builders
27-02-13, 07:39 PM
Nice 1 moo :)
I never get letters like that , just ones with photographs of me caught in action ;D
Tog hill? ;D

Rabb
27-02-13, 07:50 PM
Result Moo - Don't you just love 'admin errors'.

Gooz
02-03-13, 06:33 PM
used to be able to put sticker types on the rear mud guards of my cr500 like to see anyone attach a plate any other way, keeps them out of the way and you legal...... simples, :)

Scotty
02-03-13, 09:53 PM
A sticker on the rear mudguard of an off-roader won't meet the criteria for a full-sized number plate, which is what Moo was busted for in the first place. Got any other suggestions? :-?