PDA

View Full Version : Fair weather riding

MrSquidbeak
12-03-13, 08:53 AM
Never been a fair weather rider, have always braved the elements of the London weather.
When i move down to Wiltshire (next week :) ) i will be using the misses pug 107 (as she has treated herself to a nice new 13 plate Clio) to commute to London for work.
Going to miss riding the bike everyday but the weather the last two days has been insanely cold.
I can now see after the last 2 days why some people only fair weather ride

Dabz
12-03-13, 10:50 AM
I did years of insisting on riding through all seasons because "I'm an all-weather biker" but the last couple I've decided to leave the bike inside unless it's nice weather (don't mind the cold too much as long as it's not 0 or below). Happy to be a fair weather rider now :D

Jon_W
12-03-13, 11:40 AM
I have to confess I've stopped the last couple of days. Too cold and I've got the remnents of a chest infection.

Don't see the hassle of riding all year. Just a question of buying tghe right clothes and not moaning about the weather.

MrSquidbeak
12-03-13, 11:55 AM
I have to confess I've stopped the last couple of days. Too cold and I've got the remnents of a chest infection.

Don't see the hassle of riding all year. Just a question of buying tghe right clothes and not moaning about the weather.

Very true, just my hands are the main problem no matter what gloves or under gloves i buy i get cold hands :'(

Jon_W
12-03-13, 12:06 PM
With me it's alway the feet.... but I find that if my body and legs are warm the extremeties fair a lot better.

Crosbie
12-03-13, 12:22 PM
Very true, just my hands are the main problem no matter what gloves or under gloves i buy i get cold hands :'(
Same here. My ride into work is only 25 mins but that is long enough at the moment to have sore fingers. But i also have to get to meetings all over which can be 2 hours away (doing my best to get out of those currently) I have literally just purchased these - http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/motorcycle-clothing/motorcycle-clothing/crystal-heat-pads-2pcs/prod_29300.html

Will see if they make a difference. Will be purchasing heated grips for next year most definetely. The rain doesnt bother me, just temperatures below 0

QB1
12-03-13, 12:35 PM
Same here. My ride into work is only 25 mins but that is long enough at the moment to have sore fingers. But i also have to get to meetings all over which can be 2 hours away (doing my best to get out of those currently) I have literally just purchased these - http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/motorcycle-clothing/motorcycle-clothing/crystal-heat-pads-2pcs/prod_29300.html

Will see if they make a difference. Will be purchasing heated grips for next year most definetely. The rain doesnt bother me, just temperatures below 0

Heated grips are certainly one of the best things I've ever put on my bike.

I thought about it for ages and ages couldnt really see they'd work but my Oxford ones are absolutely fantastic and I really am a wimp when it comes to the cold.

I think anyone who commutes/rides regularly in the winter/cold without them is very brave :)

wiltshire builders
12-03-13, 12:38 PM
It always makes me laugh when the term "fair weather rider" is used.
If you have to ride out of necessity then I feel sorry for you.
As a mode of transport bikes are pretty crap.
You get cold, wet, can't carry much and are vulnerable to other road users. Not to mention the damage the winter causes the bike.
Anyone who says that winter riding is as enjoyable as summer riding is obviously not making the most out of their riding experience.

Kevinb
12-03-13, 01:09 PM
We certainly feel the cold now. If we go out on the bike we prefer if it's dry on the way but don't care what it does on the way home.

Last Saturday I just felt the need to take the bike out for a tootle

Jon_W
12-03-13, 03:34 PM
You get cold, wet, can't carry much and are vulnerable to other road users. Not to mention the damage the winter causes the bike.
Anyone who says that winter riding is as enjoyable as summer riding is obviously not making the most out of their riding experience.

Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax. Carrying luggage is easy (apart from the very large) and as to the damage, well that depends on the care you take.

As to the expierence, depends what you want to get out of it so please do not pass judgement.

Rabb
12-03-13, 03:50 PM
I ride all year round - I enjoy it whatever the weather.
The right clothing makes a big difference!

I am 'as hard as nails' in relation to the weather as I used to work outdoors in all weathers knocking trees down e.t.c. - I have been out all day at -5 on my own in the middle of a forest and you learn that the right clothing is essential to survival.

You will find that if you keep your core warm your extremities will remain bareable

Rabb
12-03-13, 06:33 PM

Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax. Carrying luggage is easy (
apart from the very large) and as to the damage, well that depends on the care you take.

Don't forget free and easy parking !

As to the expierence, depends what you want to get out of it so please do not pass judgement.

majodude
12-03-13, 07:08 PM
The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D

Elliott_Carr
12-03-13, 07:10 PM
Normaly Im not so fussed about the weather unless its un ride able, although the wind is my main put off. If the suns out and the wind is unbearable i tend to turn around and wait a couple days :) :)

redken1
12-03-13, 09:04 PM
The weather is not the issue for me, I ride when I want and don't ride when i don't want to, simples!!

Although I very rarely not want to when it's bright and sunny, and often don't want to when its wet and cold.... ;D

+1

I personally don’t subscribe to this ‘fair weather biker’ biking snobbery. ;) :)

To me whatever you ride or whenever you ride, “We are all in it together”

::) :P :)

Ducatista
13-03-13, 09:34 AM
Agree with Jon and Ken about not being judgemental.

I suffer from Reynaulds syndrome which is a problem with the circulation in my hands, luckily I can afford to have heated grips/gloves and decent gear, but I can understand how it must get more difficult as you get older.

I like keeping up my riding standards all year round, but it does require some effort to keep your bike in decent nick when there is salt everywhere.

If someone just wants to ride in the nice weather then apart from safety conerns (we can't always forecast it precisely) then I think it's up to them.

I only go Scuba diving in nice warm tropical waters because it's a hobby, but I like to do some training in poor conditions so that I know I could cope.

My only concern about fair weather riders is not being safe if weather changes (and confidence can play a big part in how safe you are).

majodude
13-03-13, 11:26 AM
You should ride when you want, where you want and with whom you want. I've had some of the best rideouts in winter, I am not interested in finding my bikes limits, they are far enough away from my own to be safe, I would run out of talent long before they are reached!!! ;D

Enjoy your bike however you enjoy it, whatever makes you happy! There's enough S@&T out there already. 8-)

wiltshire builders
13-03-13, 12:04 PM
Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax.
Really? I didn't know that as bikers we were entitled to cheaper fuel. All these years I've been paying the same as car drivers. ;D

If you're talking about fuel economy then you couldn't be more wrong. Bikes are light years behind cars when it comes to emissions and economy.

An average car e.g. bmw 320d will do around 60 mpg, road tax £30 per year
An average bike e.g. cbr 600 will do around 40 mpg, road tax £76 per year

There are cars now that are so economical that they don't pay road tax.

If you then factor in passengers the cost of running a car compared to a bike per head is not even comparable.

Which is why I ride my bike for fun, not the inconvenience.

QB1
13-03-13, 12:58 PM
Is a good mode of transport. Cheap fuel and tax.
Really? I didn't know that as bikers we were entitled to cheaper fuel. All these years I've been paying the same as car drivers. ;D

If you're talking about fuel economy then you couldn't be more wrong. Bikes are light years behind cars when it comes to emissions and economy.

An average car e.g. bmw 320d will do around 60 mpg, road tax £30 per year
An average bike e.g. cbr 600 will do around 40 mpg, road tax £76 per year

There are cars now that are so economical that they don't pay road tax.

If you then factor in passengers the cost of running a car compared to a bike per head is not even comparable.

Which is why I ride my bike for fun, not the inconvenience.

If you've got a CBR 600 you've been paying the wrong tax too it's £55 for 12 months, £30.25 for 6 months.

Dabz
13-03-13, 01:10 PM
My street triple does a good 60+ mpg when I'm not thrashing it, so as a commuter it'd be great

jack930
13-03-13, 03:07 PM

+1

I personally don’t subscribe to this ‘fair weather biker’ biking snobbery. ;) :)

To me whatever you ride or whenever you ride, “We are all in it together”

::) :P :)

+1
i agree as and when i want to is the rule for me

I have a bmw 3 year old 520d and never seen 60mpg the best ive seen is 42 mpg on motorway and 38-36 round town, road tax is 185 for 12 month,
and with diesel costing more than petrol i dont see that using a bike is any worse on running cost,
the bike i have is showing 38mpg ,

However there are cars that will do the stated 60+mpg and no road tax, but i guess it depends if you like the type cars that do it ..

just seen the stats you give for a 320d is for a brand new car, but i doubt you will see the stated 60mpg, however how many have the option to get a new car to do this ?

this is only my opinion and no criticism to any one on this forum :)

Jed
13-03-13, 03:55 PM
Always a contenious issue! I have been there, done that and got the tee shirt so to speak. However, I now am in the fortunate position of being able to choose what mode of transport I use. I ride at any time of year; when I want to, when I don't want to I use the car. The weather/temperature is one but not the only factor in that choice. I think it is a case of each to their own, when you only have a bike there is no choice, when you have a car also; well you do have a choice. Biking is supposed to be about freedom, in my case freedom to choose when I want enjoy the ride whether it's dry, wet, hot or cold.

As has been said earlier this is only my opinion, others of course will have theirs which may well be different! 8-)

QB1
13-03-13, 04:36 PM
Whilst I dont agree with Wiltshire Bikers figures I do agree with what he's saying.

Ignoring extremes I do struggle to see how it actually saves money commuting on a bike unless you have a particularly cheap bike to run, it saves huge amounts on parking, or your car is expensive to run.

My commute is on foot which is cheaper than the bike and car.

As for riding the bike its my hobby and I can do it when I want to. I actually quite enjoy wrapping up and going out all weathers but I wouldnt feel the same if I had to commute on it for sure.

Swanny
13-03-13, 05:57 PM
I saw a weather report yesterday that said it was going to stay cold until the middle of next month :(

majodude
13-03-13, 08:48 PM
Well in that case I'm staying sewn into these here long johns till spring, no point in taking the summer bath early and risking influenza!!! ;D ;D ;D

MrSquidbeak
14-03-13, 05:21 AM

Well until recently i only had the bike so had no choice at all had to brave it no matter what the weather was :o

majodude
14-03-13, 06:07 AM
Hats off too ya! :) I may have to invest in heated grips!!!

Crosbie
14-03-13, 12:36 PM

Not if you wear £1500 jimmychoo shoes each day that then break after 2 months solid use and give you bunions ;D

Everything is as cheap as you make it. I chopped in my 52 plate 2.0 TDCI mondeo 18 months ago and started riding an old CBR600 still doing the same journeys to and from works and to meetings and then also for fun at weekends. Riding a bike instead of being in the mondeo saves me nearly £120 on average taking into account weekend fun riding also! For me the bike is a viable and very economical mode of transport and is way more fun even in rubbish weather 8-)

QB1
14-03-13, 12:47 PM

Not if you wear £1500 jimmychoo shoes each day that then break after 2 months solid use and give you bunions ;D

Very good point but I dont (dont have bunions either) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
14-03-13, 01:42 PM
Was lovely this morning. Looking foward to the ride home in the sunshine.

8_ball
14-03-13, 06:55 PM
I currently drive a renault megan thing its about 4 years old 1.5 turbo diesel. on motorway I kid you not 65-70 mpg at between 70-80mph....tax well thats £30 a year.
around town I average around 40-45 mpg. not bad for a car that was given to me.... ;D
the triumph (tramp) I lucky if I get 35mpg....
rain or shine Id rather take the tramp :P

Gooz
14-03-13, 09:51 PM
Rabbs fookin nuts for riding in the cold................. we all know he's ginger and ginger people dont have real blood in their veins just orange anti freeze to stop them freezing up on a sunny day :)................ hence they never tan just go red, its also the reason why their so sucseptable to the cold and pastie white .................pmsl love ya really mate, ................. I had a massive what I thought was a spot come up on my cheek last week, turns out it was a cold/wind burn due to having to ride in this god awful bloody weather, if you have the option of a car.............. bloody well use it !! why suffer like us and just end up plain resenting the cold commute to work, stay safer and warmer and not having to layer up over and over again,
as for economy stakes fight over fuel and tax stakes all you like but offset tha against your insurance and tyres I know which option is suddenly more attractive :)

Rabb
14-03-13, 10:08 PM
Rabbs fookin nuts for riding in the cold................. we all know he's ginger and ginger people dont have real blood in their veins just orange anti freeze to stop them freezing up on a sunny day :)................ hence they never tan just go red, its also the reason why their so sucseptable to the cold and pastie white .................pmsl love ya really mate, ................. I had a massive what I thought was a spot come up on my cheek last week, turns out it was a cold/wind burn due to having to ride in this god awful bloody weather, if you have the option of a car.............. bloody well use it !! why suffer like us and just end up plain resenting the cold commute to work, stay safer and warmer and not having to layer up over and over again,
as for economy stakes fight over fuel and tax stakes all you like but offset tha against your insurance and tyres I know which option is suddenly more attractive :)

Don't you accuse me of being GINGER !!!
Nothing against it but I am a mousey blonde Gooz - are you colour blind?
I actually have no option apart from the train (I can't depend on them)
I used to catch the train to Bath every day and the service was abysmal and expensive - Never again!
If it's really cold I do use my Keis heated gear - but most of the time good layering and a waterproof suit over the top of your leathers is all that you need.
Winter riding is not that bad really - and you really appreciate the good weather when it arrives.
It's a Ying / Yang thing......
Ps Gooz - made me laugh mate ;-)

Gooz
14-03-13, 10:10 PM
Its all that orange anti freeze :-X

Rabb
16-03-13, 07:56 PM
Its all that orange anti freeze :-X

As long as it is laced with vodka then that's fine! ;-)

Trev
17-03-13, 09:54 AM
Like it or not fair weather riding's not going to be an option today, hissing down here! :(

Time to get the step thru out :)

Scotty
17-03-13, 10:49 AM
I was going to go off-roading today but it started snowing at 07:00 and hasn't stopped yet... Bugger that, central heating on, and a day at home instead...

Nooj
17-03-13, 05:37 PM
A lot of my customers ride all year round, Debz (The Missus) used to as well before she started working from home and I've had a few years where my bike's been my only transport, it's just part how life's worked out. Very few of my customers would do it if there was a practical alternative though, same with myself and Debz.

But there's always a few that feel the need to boast about what stupidly cold temperatures they will ride in, same with supposedly high mileage riders. It's only attention seeking. The REAL all weather and high mileage bikers just get on with it.

VVCALCHEMIST
17-03-13, 06:11 PM
Sod 'fair weather' - I want it warm or hot ! 8-) 8-)

wheelers
17-03-13, 06:49 PM
gonna freeze tonight!!!
they have gritted through Shaw and even Westlands Lane (never been heard of before ) and Laycock bypass , just doing it at 6pm........
thats it then gonna rain and wash it away :D
must be near end of financial year for the council and have stock left to use.

Trev
17-03-13, 07:32 PM
A lot of my customers ride all year round, Debz (The Missus) used to as well before she started working from home and I've had a few years where my bike's been my only transport, it's just part how life's worked out. Very few of my customers would do it if there was a practical alternative though, same with myself and Debz.

But there's always a few that feel the need to boast about what stupidly cold temperatures they will ride in, same with supposedly high mileage riders. It's only attention seeking. The REAL all weather and high mileage bikers just get on with it.
Agree, I only ride for pleasure but that does include cold and wet weather if I feel so inclined. I don't manage to get enough miles/time on the bike full stop and if I confine it to only dry, sunny days then no chance. I've a few bikes that are 'keepers' (not valuable to anyone apart from me) that I prefer not to subject to rain, salt and the crap our roads can throw at them but a couple of others that I don't mind taking out. Had a great couple of hours today blatting around country lanes, no one around, and negotiating mud, gravel, floods was really challenging and great fun. Quick hose down of the bike (and my textiles) when I got home and ready for the next blast, maybe that will be warm and dry 8-)

Julie_S
17-03-13, 10:42 PM
I ride for fun, not because I have to. Ride all year around as I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly. Don't mind the cold or the rain, just no fun

Saying that, whenever I absolutely have to ride because my normally utterly faithful Rover diesel has broken it has been utter sh**e weather I have had to ride in

Forget the argurments of 'my Micra costs less to run than my Fireblade' - remember the speed your bike is capable of and it's 0-60 vs your car, be sensible, find a car that offers the same performance then see what MPG that will do, and what it costs per year to tax. You could ride a 100mpg bike and have £15 a year tax if you went for a YBR125 or similar. YBRs don't destroy tyres, chains or sprockets at the same rate either

Consumers drive the market, if we all wanted economy the bikes to do the job would be there. It's odd how things haven't moved on, my 1958 Lambretta was capable of over 100 mpg (admittedly it wouldn't keep up with my Street Triple..!) Mike has a 1952 AJS 500 single that will do well into 60 MPG all day

wiltshire builders
18-03-13, 01:14 PM
I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly.
Crikey. Looks like bike riding is the least of my worries :-[

redken1
18-03-13, 04:27 PM
I think you are apt t o'go off the boil' with anything you don't do regularly.
Crikey. Looks like bike riding is the least of my worries :-[

;D ;D ;D

Swanny
18-03-13, 04:51 PM
Had a fantastic ride to Glastonbury, Wells, Cheddar on Sunday, lovely and sunny 8-)
Biggest surprise was the lack of bike out there.
Get out on your bikes

Scotty
18-03-13, 06:54 PM
Would have loved to get out yesterday, but it snowed for seven hours here which kinda took the edge off it a bit :(