PDA

View Full Version : Honda NC700X

Trev
27-03-13, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking about going for a Honda NC700X, preferably auto, and as I know there is at least one owner on the forum I would like to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge of the bike.
Suitability for gentle two up touring, durability of finish, aftermarket pipes are particular areas of interest.
I might be looking for a bike that covers too many roles but an NC700 might just be the first Honda in my garage since an SS50 and a 240v gennie ;)

BB
27-03-13, 06:47 PM
It will probably be faster than either of them :D

BB

redken1
27-03-13, 07:27 PM

BB

Only just :P :D ;D

Trev
27-03-13, 07:56 PM

BB

Only 'probably'? Oh dear

Toph
27-03-13, 08:03 PM
ss50 and Gennie are about the same horsepower.. I know I had a 4 speed ss50 in 1976!

Pretty sure Splash rides a NC700X... over to you Splash!!

redken1
27-03-13, 08:09 PM
Sorry Trev, I wasn’t being very helpful. The Honda did get some very good reviews and in fairness the bike was not designed to compete in the power stakes – it was built with economy, high mpg in mind, hence the low max rpm more akin to a car engine. I think it was referred to as half a Honda Jazz engine in the review I read.

Trev
27-03-13, 08:51 PM
Redken, no problem, not an owner (yet) so won't get all righteous on ya!
Not expecting it to be quick (I'm lucky enough to have a couple of other bikes to choose from if I want that) but do want it to be engaging and enjoyable. One of my bikes is an MT03, hard to crack a ton on that bike and enough limitations to write a book about but I absolutely love riding it. I'm sort of thinking (hoping!) that an NC could be a replacement for that with most of the fun left in and some of the limitations pushed back.
I'm old enough and ugly enough not to worry what other think of what I'm riding, wouldn't have a V50 step thru in the stable if that was the case ;D

redken1
27-03-13, 09:00 PM
Redken, no problem, not an owner (yet) so won't get all righteous on ya!
Not expecting it to be quick (I'm lucky enough to have a couple of other bikes to choose from if I want that) but do want it to be engaging and enjoyable. One of my bikes is an MT03, hard to crack a ton on that bike and enough limitations to write a book about but I absolutely love riding it. I'm sort of thinking (hoping!) that an NC could be a replacement for that with most of the fun left in and some of the limitations pushed back.
I'm old enough and ugly enough not to worry what other think of what I'm riding, wouldn't have a V50 step thru in the stable if that was the case ;D

As Chris said Trev, Splash is better informed to give you a more in depth view on how it rides. He took his to Scotland on tour last year.

QB1
28-03-13, 09:00 AM
I'm thinking about going for a Honda NC700X, preferably auto, and as I know there is at least one owner on the forum I would like to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge of the bike.
Suitability for gentle two up touring, durability of finish, aftermarket pipes are particular areas of interest.
I might be looking for a bike that covers too many roles but an NC700 might just be the first Honda in my garage since an SS50 and a 240v gennie ;)

Hopefully Splash will be along soon but these may also help?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-NC700X-2012-current/

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-honda-nc700x-review/19622.html

They've got some owners reviews too.

Trev
28-03-13, 07:11 PM
Thanks Nicky very helpful

gibbo
29-03-13, 07:52 AM
Tested one when they first came out. Ideal commuter bike, nice handling, but it has it's limitations..........prefer the MT 03. Very little protection from the elements and a fair bit of vibration at the front end. Don't expect too much overtaking as it has a rev limiter that cuts in at about 5.5 K.
And yes...........it's half a Jazz engine.
Best to have a test ride yourself to make a comparison. The MT 03 is a far better bike (in my opinion). :)

Trev
29-03-13, 08:17 AM
Thanks Gibbo, have to say I love my little MT so anything to replace it as my 'do all' bike is gonna have to be good.
I'm gonna try one out next weekend, will ride the MT to the dealer so I get best comparison. Took me a while to get used to rev limiter on that compared to my gixers so sounds like the NC is even more pronounced.
I think I may be doing the typical biker thing of always looking for something just that bit better than what u have, might not be out there.
Off to get the bike out for the bun run, bloody chilly so something with a fairing beckons ;)

Splash
29-03-13, 09:00 AM
I smirked the moment I saw this post ;D My time to contribute... at last!

GENERAL
So, I picked mine up last June, just ticked over the 16,500 mile mark, half of that was two up, the rest a trip to Scotland (2,000 miles) and several weekly trips to Truro, Cornwall and commuting to work. That front trunk makes shopping tasks a doddle! ;)

I must say, and having spoken to others also, the NC's launch was probably one of the most successful in terms of positive feedback towards the bike, and so it should be, it is what I would call, a good all rounder.

Let me just comment on 'gibbo' post, he's 110% correct, there is very little protection from the front fairing, however, I think buying the additional leg deflectors would help dramatically for a smoother ride, but a lot of the time you don't really notice, not for me anyway! I rode from Uig, Isle of Skye to Swindon in one 12 hour stint on my NCX and weather protection was adequate to do the 570 miles required! ::) Saying that I do have a Rukka suit so wind / rain etc doesn't bother me at all.

I don't experience a lot of vibration from the front, mine feels very planted and firm, it may be that it was a demonstrator, as they are viby at the start until their first service, what I found with mine once I put her in for a 600 mile service only 6 days after I picked her up :P

But less over taking? It has enough grunt to overtake mostly all the time, ride outs or a bimble on your own / commuting, if you see an opportunity you'll go for it just like anything else, once you master the short shifting when the rev counter hits 6.5K (I did it a lot when I first got it) :-/

The half Jazz engine is correct, and it's exactly what my bike parks next to at night - like a little family ;D

I have a holiday planned with the NCX, taking her to Mainland Europe for a 2 week excursion around Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and hopefully Austria - This will be a great test for it! :D

TWO UP
Two up is easily done on the NCX, just need to crank the rear shock around a little depending on the person you want to carry and away you go. I am 56KG and my partner is 50KG's, so long as the rear shock is set accordingly then we have a great time, comfortable, secure, planted and still you have enough power for the jolly bimbles, just don't expect to go racing a R1 to the lights - it won't happen as you'd expect.

As a rider, you have plenty of room with them on the back, still maintaining the same position that you would solo due to the positioning on the bike, you are sat upright but it's extremely comfortable and forgiving.

SERVICING COSTS (Blade Honda, Swindon)

Service intervals are every 8,000. Valve checks every 8,000.

14/06/2012 - 600 Mile Service: £130.69

15/09/2012 - 8,000 Mile Service: £189.49

16/03/2012 - 16,000 Mile Service: £224.48

FUEL CONSUMPTION
I recently started using Fuelly, I am averaging about 77.5 MPG, that's from two fill ups but that's about right as I used to just calculate it after along trip. The bit you will love is that you can never ever get anything more than £15.00 worth of fuel in, unless the fuel prices are going to hike the day you buy it, your wallet will love you!

For £13.70 which mine takes religiously every week I get 170ish miles out of the tank, that's commuting on a dual carriage way 5 days a week, 12.5 miles each way. You will never ever get 250 miles from a tank as they claim in their promotional material, the tank just isn't big enough -

9/10 unless you have the throttle wound open, 100 miles will cost you £9.00 in fuel at current prices.

16,000 miles in fuel cost me about £1,423.58! - Awesome! 8-)

TYRES
I run the stock BT023's, on my second set now, with the first set I got about, 7,454 out of the the first rear and 7,821 out of the second rear, the front lasted 15,272 miles.
Replacement cost of £255.00 fitted.

CHAIN
It came stock with a D.I.D ORing 520. that last 15,272 miles before I changed it, I have now swapped that for a 525 D.I.D XRing and I find the ride a lot smoother especially acceleration, the 520 did look very weedy on the NCX.

PROBLEMS
There has been two problems with this bike, both minor and covered under warranty.

1) The chain, some UK models had RK chains fitted and there were incidences where these snapped and caused damage to the bike. This would be fixed if you were to buy one now.

2) The main electrical loom connector has suffered from water ingress, I'm getting mine changed next week / week after but again, this is covered on warranty and really not so much of an issue. Just need to pack it with dielectric grease to protect it, or change it's location / design.

LINKS
One good forum!

http://nc700-forum.com/

My Blog:

http://nc700x.wordpress.com/

There is another NC700 forum, but I will not list it, but all I will say is that I have warned you if you use it, not for good reasons either. The owner is a complete 'BLEEPED'. The atmosphere is rubbish to, the nc700-forum however, is an awesome community!

If there is anything specific you have in mind / want to ask, fire away as I can probably help!

Cheers

Ash

Mikkie1986
29-03-13, 12:12 PM
Ash you need to get out more :P :P :P

Splash
29-03-13, 12:31 PM
Ash you need to get out more :P :P :P

::) ;D

Trev
08-04-13, 11:39 PM
I tried an NC700X (dual clutch version) for a couple of hours at the weekend and was impressed. Enough urge to be useful, comfortable, small screen worked ok on 'over 70' 20 mile stretch of dual carriageway, great fun around Bournemouth and gearbox always left me in the right gear for the right situation.
Didn't get to try out much bend swinging and the suspension and brakes felt a little low rent but considering the price perfectly acceptable. Add in the storage box, great mpg and room to carry some luggage and a taller seat and I think my poor little MT03 is going to be replaced as my 'do it all' bike.

Splash
10-04-13, 07:49 AM
I tried an NC700X (dual clutch version) for a couple of hours at the weekend and was impressed. Enough urge to be useful, comfortable, small screen worked ok on 'over 70' 20 mile stretch of dual carriageway, great fun around Bournemouth and gearbox always left me in the right gear for the right situation.
Didn't get to try out much bend swinging and the suspension and brakes felt a little low rent but considering the price perfectly acceptable. Add in the storage box, great mpg and room to carry some luggage and a taller seat and I think my poor little MT03 is going to be replaced as my 'do it all' bike.

My Ex lived just outside of Bournemouth so I did a hell of a lot of miles with her last year and around those places the NC was in it's own, best place I've ridden with it (Jurassic Coast).

Just clicked over 17,000 miles on mine :D

Trev
17-06-13, 11:40 PM
Finally picked up an NC700X week before last but so busy not got round to posting. I wanted to go for second hand as plan to use as my year round bike and therefore wasn't bothered about that shiny new bike feeling. Had to travel to Matlock, Derby to get it and a bit of a punt as one of those ebay purchases without viewing but owner was as good as his word and the bike and extras all just as described, in fact better.
One owner, 3500 miles, year of Honda warranty left DCT gearbox (linked ABS standard on this one) including hugger, shock sock, auto chain oiler, fender extender, rad guard, heated grips, taller screen (and standard one), centre stand, engine bars and gel seat. All in about £1,000 of extras which although not all of which I would have absolutely gone for, make the £5000 price a steal IMO.
So far put about 400 miles on it and am well pleased, handles superbly for all but silly stuff, deceptively quick, superbly comfortable (okay I admit only compared to my gixers and MT but that's fine for me) and the dummy tank storage means I have used it for even short 'pop to the shop' type runs that would have seen me take the car (sorry a top box has never yet adorned any of my bikes in over 30 years and never likely to).
The build quality seems good and I've averaged just over 68mpg despite using the first couple of weeks perhaps not how Honda intended, 70+mpg will be easily obtainable.
The DCT is great, drive is a bit slushy and laid back (for when you want to be slushy and laid back!) but sport setting gives it just enough oomph for decent real world overtaking and two up riding. I've played about with the +- 'manual' gearchange but can't really see myself using it much as the DCT changes are so good. The brakes and suspension feel a little basic but somehow combine to give great feel and confidence, it is definitely quicker than my MT, way more practical and, although I thought I wouldn't say it, more enjoyable. I'm going to keep the MT this year for the odd ride out in case my initial thoughts on the NC change (I'm fortunate enough to not need the cash or the space at the moment) but expect I won't put many miles on it, might bling it up and keep it as my Sunday best 'Harley' ; )
Will post a more subjective 'review' once I've ran the NC for a few more miles and over a few different ride outs. So far the only downsides are; very quiet exhaust note (soon to be rectified), can't wheely it (only kidding, not a downside for me at least) and it's a Honda but I'm getting used to that ;) On a serious note, the Big H have an absolute winner on their hands with the NC700X, great price, great quality, great MPG but above all F U N

Conehead
18-06-13, 08:37 AM
Glad you are enjoying it.