PDA

View Full Version : Visor water repellant

Rabb
11-03-13, 08:23 PM
I know it's a topic thats been done to death - but I wondered what everyone else has tried ?
Has anyone found a magical substance?
That
1. Works - beads properly at lower speeds (20mph?)
2. Lasts a long time?
3. Doesn't damage the visor

I have tried using the following:-
1. Bike it stuff - lasts about 35 seconds
2. Mr Sheen - lasts longer but is silicon based and attracts dirt like flies to ****
and also 'stars' at night.
3. Genuine Shoei water repellant - didn't work at all
4. My newest idea Grangers footwear proofer - the best by far but it is water based so it doesn't last very long.

I think anything that works needs to have some form of translucent clay & wax base so that it smooths out the surface of the polycarbonate shield and adds water repellency at the same time?

Any ideas greatly appreciated - I'm sick and tired of using my glove every 40 seconds.

Snowy
11-03-13, 08:32 PM
I have tried various things which I can't remember the names of. The only thing I have found that actually works and lets water bead off is SDoc 100 plastic polish.

Rabb
11-03-13, 08:34 PM
I have tried various things which I can't remember the names of. The only thing I have found that actually works and lets water bead off is SDoc 100 plastic polish.

Thanks Snowy - I'll give it a go (as it's driving me nuts at the moment)
Cheers.

wiltshire builders
11-03-13, 08:38 PM
Have you tried the pink stuff that the old boy at the bike show sells? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rabb
11-03-13, 08:44 PM
Have you tried the pink stuff that the old boy at the bike show sells? ;D ;D ;D ;D

No - what's it called - does it work? - Do you use it?
How do you get it?

wiltshire builders
11-03-13, 09:12 PM
It's the biggest rip off. I don't know what it is but I know it doesn't work!
I thought everyone had fallen foul of him at some point.
I normally use rain-ex

Rabb
11-03-13, 09:42 PM
I normally use rain-ex

Thanks Wiltshire Builders.

Ive tried Rain-ex (not the pure one - the one with the in-built cleaner) it doesn't work but I might try the pure stuff now.
I know that rain-ex is not meant to be used with polycarbonates (as it makes visors brittle) but hey if it works I will be happy.
Has anyone used Salclear? - does it work?

Snowy
11-03-13, 10:03 PM
I normally use rain-ex

Ive tried Rain-ex (not the pure one - the one with the in-built cleaner) it doesn't work but I might try the pure stuff now.
I know that rain-ex is not meant to be used with polycarbonates (as it makes visors brittle) but hey if it works I will be happy.

I don't know if it does or not but I wouldn't advocate anything that causes your visor to become brittle :o

wiltshire builders
11-03-13, 10:06 PM
I normally use rain-ex

I don't know if it does or not but I wouldn't advocate anything that causes your visor to become brittle :o
Didn't know that. I'd better find something else

Rabb
11-03-13, 10:22 PM
I normally use rain-ex

Verified by speaking with Shoei and Rain-ex tech men

Didn't know that. I'd better find something else

QB1
12-03-13, 08:00 AM
Try Wurth visor repellent I reckon it's brilliant stuff.

When it rains all you need do is turn your head slightly and the rain just blows off your visor.

The only thing I dont know is how often you'd need to reapply it if you are riding daily in the rain.

Rabb
12-03-13, 09:18 AM
Try Wurth visor repellent I reckon it's brilliant stuff.

When it rains all you need do is turn your head slightly and the rain just blows off your visor.

The only thing I dont know is how often you'd need to reapply it if you are riding daily in the rain.
Thanks Nicky - it's one of the few that I haven't tried yet.

Scotty
12-03-13, 01:08 PM
Have you tried a V-Wipe? (http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324) These jobbies are great and work just like a windscreen wiper, not leaving smears and droplets that a wipe with a glove tends to. Only drawback is the possibility of losing it - ensure it's properly on the finger of the glove, and try to remember to remove it and stick it back in your pocket afterwards.
It will require you to physically wipe your visor, but if it means you then have perfectly clear vision... (until you need to wipe it again)

Conehead
12-03-13, 04:29 PM
I have been advised to use turtle wax (Yes the stuff for cars). They have used it for years and works a treat.

I haven't tried it as not sure and dont want to ruin my visor as I do ride in low light and night as well. Currently just using my finger. (Yes the one usually assigned for my nose) ;D ;D ;D

If you give it a try let me know if it works.

8_ball
14-03-13, 06:58 PM
go old school and stitch a piece of leather shammy to the back of your glove 8-)

StreetHippo
15-03-13, 08:12 PM
I use Nikwax visor proof. It's pretty good.

Stu

Rabb
19-03-13, 08:53 PM
I will give the worth & Nikwax stuff a go - and report back.

I am also going to take my life in my hands and try something from the states which is experimental. It's a product called 'Never Wet' which is a super
Hydrophobic solution which will possibly last longer than any other product.

I have to wear a full face mask to apply this stuff!
Once dry it will not accept any water at all!

I will revert with my findings - if I do use it!

Swanny
19-03-13, 09:05 PM
I tried Nikwax on sunday, it only rained for about 1 minute but the rain didn't want to stay on the visor at all. I was really impressed, so much so that I'm going to buy some :)

I am also going to take my life in my hands and try something from the states which is experimental. It's a product called 'Never Wet' which is a super
Hydrophobic solution which will possibly last longer than any other product.

I wonder if that would stop flies sticking to my visor :-/

Splash
20-03-13, 06:55 AM
I've used Nikwax in the past, and it's very good, but depending how much you ride & duration of the rides, it doesn't last long :(

Shorty
22-03-13, 11:35 AM
Have you tried a V-Wipe? (http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324) These jobbies are great and work just like a windscreen wiper, not leaving smears and droplets that a wipe with a glove tends to. Only drawback is the possibility of losing it - ensure it's properly on the finger of the glove, and try to remember to remove it and stick it back in your pocket afterwards.
It will require you to physically wipe your visor, but if it means you then have perfectly clear vision... (until you need to wipe it again)

They are great, but when I lost the second one whilst out and about - I gave up - pity!

Rabb
30-03-13, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the input guys & gals.
I am now entering 'testing mode'
I have just received my order of "Raincoat" which looks pretty good
- I'll let you know how I get on after a couple of weeks of commuting.

Rabb
03-04-13, 11:44 PM
Update - Ive been using 'Raincoat' visor repellent and it's the dogs!
As it's wax based the water just beads and sheds - you don't even have to do the 'head move' thing in the wind to shed the water!
It's been on there since Friday (5 days) and still as good as it was at the start of use.

I bought 2 packs (5 sachets per pack) which on predicted usage should last me unt the end of August.

Go buy guys and gals - it's a great product!

Swanny
04-04-13, 08:57 AM
Where did you get it and where did you find rain???

Rabb
05-04-13, 08:48 PM
Where did you get it and where did you find rain???

Where there's a will there's a way.
Trust me it works a treat!
I will post where to get it from later (Can't remember the company name!)

Rabb
05-04-13, 09:00 PM
Get this product at Mad4bikes.com
If you put "Facebook" in discount codes at checkout you get 10% off too.
£7 per pack of five sachets + postage is the staring price.

Senna(Dan)
05-04-13, 09:27 PM
Have ordered 15 sachets at the grand total of £17.77 cheers Rabb

Rabb
05-04-13, 10:34 PM
Have ordered 15 sachets at the grand total of £17.77 cheers Rabb

Hi Dan,
Get your visor really clean before applying.
Apply a pea sized amount with a wet sponge to spread it properly. Less is more with this product.
Leave for 3 minutes to dry to a haze then buff off with the supplied cotton cloth.
Don't be tempted to use a microfibre cloth as this will ruin the wax coating that you have lovingly applied.
Glad to be of help Dan - it's great stuff!
I like products that do what they say.

Swanny
06-04-13, 09:37 AM
Looks great in the little vid
http://www.mad4bikes.co.uk/raincoat-water-repellent-kit-for-motorcycle-visor-s-etc-760.html

Rabb
06-04-13, 07:43 PM
Looks great in the little vid
http://www.mad4bikes.co.uk/raincoat-water-repellent-kit-for-motorcycle-visor-s-etc-760.html

Believe me - it's as good as the video!

Senna(Dan)
06-04-13, 08:27 PM
It will be going on my bike screens as well I think, sick and tired of trying to get those water streaks off.

Rabb
06-04-13, 11:18 PM
It will be going on my bike screens as well I think, sick and tired of trying to get those water streaks off.

That's what I'm going to try Tomorrow - you must have read my mind Dan!

Senna(Dan)
07-04-13, 08:17 AM
Have you thought about going as far as doing it on a car window yet?

Doubt it will work on the front, might be good for the rear window though.

Rabb
07-04-13, 10:40 PM
Have you thought about going as far as doing it on a car window yet?

Doubt it will work on the front, might be good for the rear window though.

It only works on plastics / lexan - it doesn't work on glass as it's a wax base.