PDA

View Full Version : List of bikes with a low seat height NOT a cruiser

Maz
20-03-13, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Well, I am looking for my next bike.

I have a bit of a problem.

I am extremely short at 5 foot 3 with an inside leg of 30 inches. I am having trouble finding a bike with a low seat height (including width of the bike).

The ninja 250r fitted ok but it wasnt ideal as I was on tip toes so, are there bikes around that are like the ninja but slightly smaller?

I dont like cruisers (the look of them).

I have been looking at a Honda MSX 125 but as someone memtioned it is rather slow. I passed my test to ride something bigger not smaller.

I am currently restricted to 33bhp until this September however, I can restrict the bike which isnt a problem.

If I can complie a list of bikes with low seat height (including the width) then I would be well away to finding the next bike.

I have been looking for weeks but cannot find a bike within a price bracket of £2000 but in September it would be £3500 to spend.

I dont mind waiting these extra months for the right bike as I dont drive so, will be riding everyday anyway.

Hugs and loves to all xxx :D

Last Train
20-03-13, 01:16 PM
Hi Maz,

Consider changing your approach to your next bike by spending a proportion of your next bike price on lowering the bike that you like. This will hugely increase the number of bikes you can consider owning.

There are a number of vertically challenged riders on WB.
Jacde and Beamer have had their machines lowered and honed to suit them.
Ducatista also I believe.

Or maybe buy an already lowered bike.

Drop them a PM, I'm sure they'll be delighted to share their experiences and modifications with you.

:)

QB1
20-03-13, 01:41 PM
I dont know of any lists but if you have a bike in mind the MCN bike reviews online list bikes seat heights. I think some of the bike mags do too - Ride I think?

As a fellow vertically challenged biker the one thing I would say is dont exclude a bike based only on the listed seat height, bikes vary an awful lot in how well balanced they are and that can make a huge difference to how confident you are on the bike.

I know people do successfully lower bikes but they can be awful if its not done properly. I had one which had been lowered and it handled like a pig when compared to the same model which was standard.

Maz
20-03-13, 01:50 PM
Thats my worry is lowering a bike and then it not handling well.

Some bikes I belive cant be lowered (according to some websites).

Thanks x

nickreeve
20-03-13, 01:54 PM
hi my wife is 5ft with a 29inch inside leg and had a honda cbf600 2008, with a hagon custom made lowered shock and could ride with both feet flat on the ground, but she decided to by a harley instead, when the bike was sold i removed the rear shock, only did 70 miles , still have the shock .

MelkshamKwak
20-03-13, 02:01 PM
Hi,

My inside leg is only 29" and i ride a Kawasaki GPZ500s with no problems in getting my feet flat on the floor...

Maz
20-03-13, 02:12 PM
brilliant!

What I get home tonight I will look on here and some websites more. I have looked at a cbr 600f on ebay and auto trader today. Will look more later.

Nick, I dont mind buying it off you if I buy one. If thats ok with you. I obvioulsy need to hunt around...

I will also look at the GPZ500...what year? :o

Thank you my lovilies...xx

QB1
20-03-13, 02:23 PM
If it helps I'm 28'' inside leg and find my Suzuki GSXR 750 (which is the same as the 600) is perfect. Its very light which helps.

In the past bikes I've had which I've felt really comfortable with (height wise) including a Bandit 600 and 1200, Honda VTR1000 and Ducati ST2. The VTR1000 felt especially low.

cerruti
20-03-13, 02:31 PM
Being female and short and stumpy (I prefer to say vertically challenged) myself I can offer the following from my own experience....

Before I bought my first proper bike I sat on everything I could find until I found something I liked, then I looked at lowering it. There is also more than one way to get your feet on the ground - shocks can be lowered and seats can be altered or changed (for example, Bagster do a range of lowered seats). You can also look at your riding boots as I believe there are some ladies boots out there with super thick soles for us shorties ;)

My first bike was a restricted ER6F which I swapped the seat for a lowered Bagster. Ive just traded this in for a Ducati Monster which only required the preload on the shock to be wound down a fraction for me to get my foot down.

My advice is to go for a bike you like, and then explore the options for lowering.

Ps - I happen to know that theres a pre-loved 33bhp restricted and lowered ER6f for sale at Riders in Bristol atm ;D

Maz
20-03-13, 02:41 PM
oh, I will check that out!!! Hopefully its in my price range.

MelkshamKwak
20-03-13, 02:44 PM
1998 GPZ and a very good starter bike.

Shorty
20-03-13, 03:40 PM
I've had a Bandit and Street Triple lowered and I cannot tell any difference in handling. Maybe a very experienced rider could!
I had the sides of the seat of the Bandit cut down and as somone mentioned - extra soles on the boots all help.

QB1
20-03-13, 04:15 PM
Another thing to bear in mind with lowering a bike is ground clearance and the stand. When I bought a lowered bike it took ages for me to work out why it was so hard to get the darn thing on the centre stand ::) ::) Just something to bear in mind if you are going the lowering route.

I'm sure some bikes are fine lowered but having had lots of different bikes I bought one unknowingly which had been lowered and it took several days to work out what was 'wrong'. It just felt odd and handled really badly. At the time my OH had exactly the same bike and I took his out to see if it was the same and couldnt believe the difference and why his cornered so much better...until we parked them side by side.

wiltshire builders
20-03-13, 04:22 PM
I dont like cruisers (the look of them).

The force is strong in this one.

The Honda NC30 is very small and on twisty stuff can easily keep up with bigger bikes.
They're very popular so hold their value well.

Maz
20-03-13, 04:53 PM
Wiltshire Builders - yes, it is strong :D

I will defo have a look and the option of getting a bike and lowering it later is certainly appealing.

I am serioulsy considering waiting till September for a bike because there is no point in forking out £150 on a restrictor kit then having to take it off within 3/4 months.

Waiting a little longer will also mean more pennies to spend on a bike and lowering it.

decisions, decisions!

;D

Toph
20-03-13, 05:46 PM
Hi Maz, just a thought.. Tina (beamer) is selling her beloved Kawasaki ER5 , it's been lowered and I'm pretty sure it's 33bhp .. look at "ER5 for sale" in the "bike stuff for sale" section.

Nice bike it is too!! :)

Loops
20-03-13, 06:21 PM
Maz, it might not cost £150 to restrict either, especially carbed bikes. Check ebay for a kit, sand I can recommend a guy in bristol who will test the bike and give you a power print out to give your insurance.

Managed to get a kit for my cbr for £25 (still got it if you end up with one of those) and the power test was £30.

Splash
20-03-13, 06:23 PM
Hey Maz,

I had a 2011 CBR250R for a few months and that has a low seat height as well as being narrow.

I had no problem keeping up with people on ride outs! Perhaps apart form acceleration, but twisty roads were no problem!

Just my two pence. :)

Beamer
20-03-13, 06:26 PM
Hi Maz, just a thought.. Tina (beamer) is selling her beloved Kawasaki ER5 , it's been lowered and I'm pretty sure it's 33bhp .. look at "ER5 for sale" in the "bike stuff for sale" section.

Nice bike it is too!! :)

Quite welcome to pop round and try it any time...its lowered, sturdy and Ive loved riding him :)

8_ball
20-03-13, 07:31 PM
I know people have touched the subject of lowering seats :D :D :D I have lowered every bike seat that I have owned and either replaced with gel or closed cell foam it can make a difference of between 1-3 inches.
Just by removing the cover and giving the foam a sanding to remove the foam top coat (bottom of the mould) can make a seat feel much more comfy.. 8-)
Im 6 foot 2 and I know I'd rather be sitting 'in a bike' than on one if you know what I mean, you'll feel more part of the bike :o

bigpete
21-03-13, 07:10 AM
I've done a lot of looking into seat heights as i have an embarrassingly short 27in inside leg. :'( it's not just seat height but look at width as well cos this makes just as much difference!
Also is getting both feet down at a standstill absolutely neccessary?? as long as i can get one down then i'm confident enough, you'd soon get used to it!
the only thing to do is to go and sit on/try as many machines as you can. ;)

Splash
21-03-13, 07:22 AM
OR... Honda CBF500/600 they are very narrow and low to the ground + can easily be restricted.

gary.riley
21-03-13, 08:01 AM
The Honda CBF (2006 on) has the option of three height positions for the seat and the screen. Whilst not short (5' 11") I don't have a long inside leg (29" - not a euphamism!) and I have my seat set at the middle settind and can get both feet flat on the ground

Kevinb
21-03-13, 08:56 AM
I have the opposite problem trying to find a bike big enough for my long legs and um large frame.
MT is fine, sports bikes just way to small and cruisers I need a bike engine/longer chassis. I tried a 900cc Yamaha and was told it looked like a toy with me on it.

Good luck but at least you have the options of shaving the seat foam or dropping the forks through the yoke.
What about a classic as older bikes tend to be smaller or even an Enfield

Good luck with your search.

Jed
21-03-13, 12:15 PM
Google 'motorcycyle seat height' and there is a fair amount of information including this http://www.visordown.com/features/top-5-new-bikes-for-short-riders/18290-6.html#historysub and this list of seat heights which is good once you work out how to turn the annoying american talking about college football off! http://www.examiner.com/article/comprehensive-list-of-2012-motorcycle-seat-heights
I hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Scotty
21-03-13, 12:31 PM
...and don't forget the Daytona Ladystar boots, as used by a number of female forum members with height challenges.

Here's a thread (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1295893910/0#0) on the subject...

Splash
21-03-13, 01:41 PM
I have the opposite problem trying to find a bike big enough for my long legs and um large frame.
MT is fine, sports bikes just way to small and cruisers I need a bike engine/longer chassis. I tried a 900cc Yamaha and was told it looked like a toy with me on it.

Honda GL1800 Goldwing? ;) :D

Kevinb
21-03-13, 01:53 PM

I'm still only in my 40's so not old enough for a Goldwing yet ;D
saying that I wouldn't mind one of the original undressed GL1000's

Splash
21-03-13, 05:41 PM

I'm still only in my 40's so not old enough for a Goldwing yet ;D
saying that I wouldn't mind one of the original undressed GL1000's

Age doesn't matter, I'm 20 and very interested in them! I keep looking at used GL1800. Insurance is cheap and cheerful too! 8-) Life in the slow lane! ;)

Yes, the late 1970's if I'm right? They look nice!

Jacde
21-03-13, 08:33 PM
buy the bike that you feel comfortable on in the riding position, that's how you'll spend most of your time on the bike and then get it lowered.

I bought a new shock for my bike, but you can lower a bike in many different ways and different costs.

The other thing to make a note of is the handling, ignore being told it will change the handling of the bike.

Yes it might do, but if you get it lowered by some one who know what they are doing they'll do it properly AND if you buy the bike and get it lowered with out riding it too much beforehand then YOU won't notice any difference in the handling.

I bought my bike and had the shock put on quickly and my bike is brilliant, I love it, I'm flat footed (that was a very big deal for me) and I never think twice about riding it, my previous bike I'd use any excuse not to ride it!

pm me if you have any questions.

QB1
22-03-13, 04:15 PM
Was chatting to a friend of mine about this and she recommended a bike no ones mentioned yet a Kawasaki ZZR600 - that should fall within budget and does have a low seat. Might be worth a look too?

If you are going the lowering route I'd certainly check it out before you buy the bike. You dont want to buy a bike then realise the options for lowering are too expensive.

I know many people here have lowered bikes without a problem but I'm not a fan. The bike manufacturers spend a huge amount on R&D when they design and build a bike and if you are changing something fundamental it must affect the bike. But hey I'm no expert all I know is that I could tell a difference in the two lowered bikes I've ridden but in fairness I've been riding bikes for many years and have owned and ridden quite a few.

Hope you find what you want. :)

Jon_W
26-03-13, 07:54 AM
Sv650 is a popular option as they can be lowered easily.

Kevinb
27-03-13, 08:27 AM
Put on a bit of weight. I weigh about 300lb and that's guaranteed to lower any bikes seat height (except a hard tail choppers) ;D

Mikkie1986
27-03-13, 03:16 PM
Was chatting to a friend of mine about this and she recommended a bike no ones mentioned yet a Kawasaki ZZR600 - that should fall within budget and does have a low seat. Might be worth a look too?

If you are going the lowering route I'd certainly check it out before you buy the bike. You dont want to buy a bike then realise the options for lowering are too expensive.

I know many people here have lowered bikes without a problem but I'm not a fan. The bike manufacturers spend a huge amount on R&D when they design and build a bike and if you are changing something fundamental it must affect the bike. But hey I'm no expert all I know is that I could tell a difference in the two lowered bikes I've ridden but in fairness I've been riding bikes for many years and have owned and ridden quite a few.

Hope you find what you want. :)

I will have 2 X ZZR 600's in the shop next week. Your more than welcome to come and literally try it out for size :)

8_ball
29-03-13, 10:54 PM
I'm sure you'll find one

Splash
30-03-13, 07:02 AM
Put on a bit of weight. I weigh about 300lb and that's guaranteed to lower any bikes seat height (except a hard tail choppers) ;D

;D ;D

Goldie
30-03-13, 09:03 AM
I was having this conversation yesterday at the hot cross bun run. I'm 5 foot 4 with a 29 inch leg and I struggle to touch the ground on most bikes. I also own a pair or Daytona Ladystars which give me an extra couple of inches instep, as scotty mentioned.
I was talking to Bondy (was trying to buy her street triple, more like...lol) who told me you can get any bike lowered if you do it properly - she's had hers done and its made the difference in me fiat footing on hers and being a couple of inches off the ground on other triples I've tried.
I currently ride a Honda hornet 600 that hasn't been lowered and I'm fine on it; you're welcome to try it for size, maz. :)

Tongy
30-03-13, 09:04 PM
I have a zzr600 and they are low. I have a 30" leg and can stand up and get my arse off the seat. Goes well.

Bondy
31-03-13, 07:33 PM
Hello you can have any bike you like highered or lowered....DRS in Hull professionaly measure you and then fit the bike to you....wather you are too tall or too small....

they some times sell bikes already lowered as well.....??

look on their site...I have had three bikes done by them now....they are excellant!!

Good luck Bondy ;D

majodude
02-04-13, 06:50 PM
The Ducati Monster is low slung according to Ride magazine this month!! Nice bike too.

CharleyX
15-04-13, 12:26 AM
Hi i'm the same hight as Goldie, ride with Daytona ladystars and can touch the floor on both my Bonnie and CBR600F no problem,and there not lowered... Your welcome to have a go on either anytime. Happy looking

Bikermouse
27-04-13, 08:45 AM
I had a cbf500 which I had both lowered and restricted. Sold on last year to another forum member, Sue. I Believe Lou is selling her cbf500 so that could be an option

Vee4 Gaz
27-04-13, 07:00 PM
There is a very nice Honda CBR400RR for sale at the Mega Motorcycle shop in Swindon. £3000 I would buy it now if I had the cash. This has a very low seat height and is quite light yet fast enough 130ish mph. Great bikes to build confidence and very reliable.

Senna(Dan)
27-04-13, 07:16 PM
Gaz that is expensive for a CBR400RR, I have seen some pearling examples for just under £1500 selling privately.