This is not a rant, just my take on it.....I agree with Jon W. Bikers, or motorcyclists, are being targeted for donations to charity and the recent charity of choice seems to be the armed forces.
It has been said by some people, maybe not on here, that bikers have a certain bond with the forces. I have never really thought this. Growing up I would have rather been a biker than a squaddie!, less rules and more freedom. The first " Mothers Day Ride" was to show support to the town of Wootton Bassett for all they had done during the repatriation of fallen service personnel. This did however come at a cost...donation to the charity Afghan Heroes. Since then it was noted that bikers are kind hearted and could spare a few quid. The yearly run has raised much needed cash and has improved the biker image in the public eye. There were always going to be offshoots of this sort of thing and many would attend. How many of you have been to the Kent Custom or Bulldog Bash ?
Money from these events have also gone to charity but is less publicised. It's all about freedom of choice. Do you want to give to charity? Do you want to ride your bike? Do you want to combine the two?
I was on the M25 on Sunday. There was no fee, there were buckets around but they were not waved in your face. If you wanted to give you could. There were patches on sale and profits would go to the RBL. The idea was to create a giant poppy on the M25 to show respect on the remembrance Sunday, after all not everybody goes to a church service! The "Ring of Red" was completed and we all went home! There was nowhere near the 15000 wanted to form the "ring" so the bikes spaced out a little more. I rode the bike for nearly 300 miles with some great company, was part of something different and went to a pub..........Cracking day out. My choice, freedom of choice and I would have done it even if no charity was involved. I do give to charity but on my terms...you wave a bucket at me and you get nothing. It was just a very big ride out!!!