Notices

Thread: Local boy done good...

Hybrid View

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I want to like Corbyn, a lot of what he says makes sense. However his CND anti nuclear weapons stance would stop me voting for him.

As for the National anthem, what a storm in a teacup. I can count on 1 finger how many times I sang that as a soldier so I don't think it's key to remembering those that served in the slightest (hell I know more words to the Internationale and the Red flag than god save the queen). Hymns are sung at Remembrance services, the anthem was only included there to massage the ego of 1 attendee.

Good luck too him and if he changes his view on Trident I may actually bother voting.
    His views are scrap trident and spend the money on nations wellbeing, including investing in the armed forces. Not cutting them, and having married privates on income support. No-one is ever gonna use them, so why spend money where none is needed, Sheet if anyone did, we're all ferked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    married privates on income support.
    Not sure how needed that is. Yes a fresh crowbag has a fairly low income but the outgoings are also very low (unless things have massively changed). My old quarter (Zouch, Tidworth, 2 bed flat) cost me under £180 a month (and that included the CILOCT charge), so even though my take home pay didn't seem huge at the time it was actually pretty good with that little paid for accommodation. The equivalent civvy bottom rung, low pay job would have been looking at £700+ a month for an equivalent 2 bed flat in the same area, even taking in to account things like housing benefit they would have been worse off.

Yes I bitched and moaned about crap pay at the time but looking back now I'm a civvy I realise it was actually a bloody good deal.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Not sure how needed that is. Yes a fresh crowbag has a fairly low income but the outgoings are also very low (unless things have massively changed). My old quarter (Zouch, Tidworth, 2 bed flat) cost me under £180 a month (and that included the CILOCT charge), so even though my take home pay didn't seem huge at the time it was actually pretty good with that little paid for accommodation. The equivalent civvy bottom rung, low pay job would have been looking at £700+ a month for an equivalent 2 bed flat in the same area, even taking in to account things like housing benefit they would have been worse off.

Yes I bitched and moaned about crap pay at the time but looking back now I'm a civvy I realise it was actually a bloody good deal.
    Think it's called Tax credits now, doesn't matter if your outgoings are low, the wage is pants, so you get it. I know of Signallers on it, either way Trident is a waste of money, where it could be better spent, the last quarter i had, had been condemned several times, and approved for use several times, to suit returning regiments from Germany.