Notices

Thread: Right you clever lot ???

Hybrid View

Coils craping out when they heat up? Only way to test that theory though would be with known good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Coils craping out when they heat up? Only way to test that theory though would be with known good ones.
    You might be on to something there WR , nice one !!! Since reading your post , have done a bit of digging on youtube and found a guy who describes the symptoms pretty much exactly .

Is it possible that the ignition coils , having been in there for 8 years may have deteriorated further due to letting the bike sit idling for a prolonged period , thus overheating ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HtFSyz6bk
    Last edited by DC; 14-03-16 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Well spotted that man !!! Hit the nail well and truly on the head !!! Nice one WR . Can you tell I'm in a good mood ? I hunted out the resistance values for that particular unit and how to test for duff coils , Also tested the HT resistance and they were as they should be . The primary coils were spot on but the secondary coils were reading as an open circuit with no reading at all . I think as Tomearp suggested , sitting with the engine running , the excessive heat has finished them off . Will order Up a new unit tomorrow.