Notices

Thread: Insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Insurance 
    Hi,

After not having a scrape for years and years I've had a couple of minor bumps in the last year! My Bennets insurance has rocketed and I tried a compare site. Much cheaper and to be hones I'd probably use them until the premium goes down again anyway but anyone got any opinion on ... eBike Insurance or MCE ? Obviously I knocking on now both a couple of silly scrapes and beginning to worry about the reliability of the insurer rather than just assuming I'll be alright ;-)

Cheers,

Ben.

MCE are often the cheapest but watch out for the excess. Also cancellation / alteration fees. Look at reviews on line. Some really bad ones and some quite alright. Do not totally rely on their inclusive recovery though.

NCB seems to carry no weight these days and neither does loyalty. Pay your money and take your choice !!
    I only have one vice…I lie.

There are pro's and cons with all the companies, what Burbler says is all very true. for what it's worth i'm with MCE and have been for the last 3 years, not for reasons of loyalty though, premium has not gone up in that time so probably no NCB and yes higher excess than i would like and you can age a lot waiting for them to answer the phone. on the up side i got them to quote me on a multibike policy and it would only cost me an extra £50 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by gringogordo View Post
    Hi,

After not having a scrape for years and years I've had a couple of minor bumps in the last year! My Bennets insurance has rocketed and I tried a compare site. Much cheaper and to be hones I'd probably use them until the premium goes down again anyway but anyone got any opinion on ... eBike Insurance or MCE ? Obviously I knocking on now both a couple of silly scrapes and beginning to worry about the reliability of the insurer rather than just assuming I'll be alright ;-)

Cheers,

Ben.

MCE wanted more than the policy cost in the first place when I wanted to cancel. Also steep admin fees for changes. I've been with Bennetts for years now and they always seem to be the cheapest, but it needs a phone call to haggle
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Okay cheers. I'll ring Bennets and see if they come down. tbh I couldn't understand it as fully comp has gone to over £900 but I guess I did have a very minor 'my fault' car twang last year and a nasty but minor slide in a mud slick on the bike a few months later so 2 accidents in a year probably does that! Just irritating as I haven't made a claim in 15 years before that! If they can't come down I'll use MCE for a year or 2 as I have a new bike so all being well won't be changing details for the next year...

I recently got a cheaper Bennetts policy via compare the market recently, well pleased with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I recently got a cheaper Bennetts policy via compare the market recently, well pleased with that.
    I had that a couple of years ago.

Renewal came back with a 68% increase despite me and the bike being a year older and 1 more year NCB.

Started anew with a comparison site and got a good quote from the same outfit. Madness.

Also one year I tried the same details next day but added 3000 miles and a pillion and the premium went down by £8.

No discount for loyalty nowadays, always worth checking compare sites then going back to your present insurer and haggling them down if you are happy with them
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

as said above, beware the internet only insurers. my son spent £30 waiting on the phone to speak about amending a policy. premium price phone charges , they are not geared up manpower wise to handle phone calls. then they charge for mid term changes.

There are those that say the premiums go up as the renewal date approaches.

Getting quotes as soon as legal (28 days ?) seems to be a good idea.