Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
I think he should have outlined the next steps and given us 3 more weeks of lockdown to drive the numbers right down
Anecdotally they need more to infect. I keep in contact with guys I served with and one has just been sent back from a Nightingale hospital. They were briefed best scenario, local services to overwhelm and them to see 50% of capacity. They didn't get a single patient. His contribution to the fight was spending a few weeks trying to get in to nurses knickers...... jammy git.

They need more people to get it, they achieve this by loosening restrictions. They can't state it this way because doing so would be political suicide, plenty of people still have some belief the government will magically stop them ever catching this. It's game of balancing infections to match service capacity (NHS, etc) and also to take in to account economic impact.

There is also a scientific model floating around that shows if strict restrictions are kept for too long and infections bottomed out too far then you will eventually get a 2nd spike equal to what we just had.

I think basically we mostly need to catch it, however we need to do it in a terribly organised and managed way. Plagues being known for being organisable and manageable.

I'm no fan of tories and I would happily hang the blonde tosser from a tree with a (very) short drop but just from the light academic reading I have tried to do, I wouldn't want his job right now. He has to take a bunch of disagreeing scientific opinions that he has no better qualification to judge than you or I and then formulate actions based on what may turn out to be utter crap.