Not so sure that all the content of your original post is factually correct Swanny, but I do agree with your sentiment. To be fair, there is a lot of misinformation from both the republican and the royalist camps. For me as a true democrat I could never square the circle of supporting an unelected head of state. For those regal supporters who peddle the argument that she has no real power it’s worth noting that a newly elected Westminster MP or MSP in Scotland must take an oath swearing allegiance to the monarch before thye can take up their seat in the respective parliaments.

Moreover, Idon't know if people realise this, but in Westminster if you refuse to take the oath your seat remains vacant until the next election. In the Scottish Parliament, if you don't take the oath within two months of being elected there is an immediate by-election. Ironic and certainly undemocratic when you consider that since the inception of Holyrood in 1999 numerous MSPs were elected pledging to abolish the monarchy.