Notices

Thread: MCN harassing me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: MCN harassing me 
    Sean.C
    They rang me too . Told them it was crap and i wasn't interested .

2. Re: MCN harassing me 
    they rang me 3 times in two days so i very politely told them i wasn't interested

3. Re: MSN harassing me 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor86
    ;D Unfortunately it's a sale or return situation where retailers get credit for returned copies, and they pay the wholesalers to destroy remaining copies... Just in case anyone wanted to try and get a free read of it! lol
    That's not quite true - they have to be collected and they go for recycling. The publishers have a deal with the recycling plant so they buy back their own re-claimed paper. It's a process known as end to end recycling. We do it for our customers as well with toners, but the people who own MCN (Johnston press) are one of our biggest customers.

4. Re: MSN harassing me 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=Taylor86 link=1295992291/7#7 date=1296053961] ;D Unfortunately it's a sale or return situation where retailers get credit for returned copies, and they pay the wholesalers to destroy remaining copies... Just in case anyone wanted to try and get a free read of it! lol
    That's not quite true - they have to be collected and they go for recycling. The publishers have a deal with the recycling plant so they buy back their own re-claimed paper. It's a process known as end to end recycling. We do it for our customers as well with toners, but the people who own MCN (Johnston press) are one of our biggest customers.[/quote]

Could be wrong, but as far as I know at wholesale level we get charged by companies to collect and recycle the mags
    If a publisher wanted their own mags returned to them they get charged a retention fee due to the way the returns process works.

My my this is turning into a geeky conversation!!! ;D

5. Re: MCN harassing me 
    Diamond Member
    That's probably not far off the mark. The dealers should have to pay for any they don't sell to be collected and recycled, or at least a fee towards it. It discourages them from buying (and thus wasting) too many. JP (the publishers) have to do this though as part of their CSR and carbon neutral strategies.

As a side note - Interestingly (I use the term objectively!), most people think 100% recycled paper is environmentally friendly. In actual fact, being as though the last paper mill in the UK closed down well over 18 months ago, and most of the German & Italian producing 90% virgin pulp papers, your recycled paper has to be transported all the way to Chile to be re-pulped, bleached and then brought back meaning that a large majority of it has a higher carbon footprint than a European produced FSC paper. FSC is virgin pulp, but as they replant so often, and it's all from sustainable plantations it's actually far more environmentally friendly. Just a bit of extra geekness for you! lol

6. Re: MCN harassing me 
    Platinum Member
    I'm not that bothered where the paper comes from :P all I know is a hell of a lot of them end up in the local (calne) landfill site in the back of my refuse truck ;D ;D

7. Re: MCN harassing me 
    Chile !!!! isn't there any operations capable of doing the process in Euroland/U.K. ? Any money in doing it ?
    Curious that's all.

Anyway I consider mesen suitably geeked
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!