Notices

Thread: Bikes for a restricted liscense?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    I'm interested in knowing this too.

I'm itching for more power, but don't want to go the route of getting a large bike and restricting it - I'd rather buy something smaller like a 250cc that's >33bhp from the off.

Only I don't have a big budget either and I don't know what bikes are available that small - I've seen a Honda something-or-other and a Ninja, anything else I should look out for?

I am however happy to go for an older bike - the current one is 25 years young so anything up to that doesn't phase me ;D
    Nic
    I had a Kawasaki Z250 A which is exactly 33bhp
    Not a young bike by any means mine was a 1980 v plate

2. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    The advantage of restricting a bigger bike, is that you don't have to then sell it to get a bigger bike when your restriction comes off...

If you were buying something new, you might want it to last you 3 or 4 years so it's worth thinking about doing it, rather than your restriction coming off and and then still feel underpowered...
    Very true. This is what i did with my thundercat. loved it with restrictors in as it was fast and also looked good riding a 600. and loved it even MORE when i turned 19 nd had the restrictors out. a very powerful bike that saves money not havin to get a bigger engine like you would if you have a 250

3. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    If you fancy a sportsbike when you get unrestricted, then you could get an RS125.

Fantastic bikes, will teach you how to handle a sportsbike, without the fear that you have the power to throw you off. If you get a de-restricted one, it will do 110mph and they handle very well. Get a slightly older one, but try and make sure it hasn't been thrashed by some ejut!
    Sounds great, but not possible I'm afraid. There is a power to weight ratio to take into account. A deristricted RS125 makes good power, but is too light.

If you're into off-roaders, how about a Suzuki DR350? Cheap as chips, and exactly 33bhp. :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Many thanks for the suggestions so far, a lot of the bikes I like which are <33bhp are rather expensive sadly.. He did say after a long conversation that if I wanted a bigger bike one that already had a restrictor on it would be better than forking out the £££ for a restrictor and fitting.

So what would I be looking at with a bigger bike? (Same terms as above - within budget, reliable, quick enough etc)

Many thanks 8-)

5. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Platinum Member
    Just about anything you wanted within your budget mate really depends what you are going to use the bike for [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    The Suzuki Goose was always the benchmark 33bhp bike. Most of the 250 commuters and the Kawasaki Ninja will suffice.

TBH, I'd restrict a bigger bike, it dosen't cost a fortune and you'll have more choice of machine. The added advantage uis you'll have a big bike at the end and not need to trade a 250 in (which will cost you in deperciation).
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    +1 Jon W HOWEVER

Callum I am assuming you are a man of tender years and insurance can be a major cost.

So before you do anything get some insurance quotes on say an SV650 restricted vs a Ninja 250. You are modifying the bike and we have already seen insurers don't always like that.

Most restrictors are carb inserts which stop the engine revving fully. No rejetting required in most cases, but need to be fitted by a mechanic who can issue a certificate needed by some insurers. Cost about £150 installed. Make sure you get all the originals back.

Top end of your price range but SV650 gives you a good handling all-rounder with proven reliability and brakes and tyres suitable for 72BHP.

When it comes to time to remove the restriction you will not have to learn a totally new bike. and it could be an advantage to have a restrictor kit when it comes to selling it on.

8. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemorah
    +1 Jon W HOWEVER

Callum I am assuming you are a man of tender years and insurance can be a major cost.

So before you do anything get some insurance quotes on say an SV650 restricted vs a Ninja 250. You are modifying the bike and we have already seen insurers don't always like that.
    This is the same reason I'm trying to get something that doesn't need restricting. I drive a modified car and getting reasonable insurance is such a hassle (and adds at least 20% to any quotes) I just want a bike that's totally standard and easy (and cheap) to insure.

I checked with my insurers and they do class it as a modified bike, but couldn't tell me how it would affect a quote (i.e. up because it's modified, or down because it's lower power.)
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

9. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Having been down this route myself, I couldn't see the appeal of restricting a bigger bike. You get the disadvantages (more weight, fuel consumption and tax) and few benefits (maybe better low-down torque on some bikes, but better be careful that's not messed up by the restriction). I'm also not convinced by the "you can take the restrictor off instead of a new bike" argument either. By the time you've been riding 2 years, you'll have a much better idea what you want in a bike and it may well not be what you thought at first (this happened to me). The Ninja 250 in particular has remarkably high resale value, so if you can afford one in the first place, you won't be taking a big loss even if you plan to sell it the moment your restriction expires (which was my plan, though it hasn't quite worked out that way : ).

I was very happy with the Ninja 250. Easy to ride, corners superbly, looks good (it was often mistaken for a 600), and still quite sufficiently exciting once you crank the throttle open (in the right gear). ;D

10. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    [quote author=Cemorah link=1299944974/16#16 date=1300130928]+1 Jon W HOWEVER

This is the same reason I'm trying to get something that doesn't need restricting. I drive a modified car and getting reasonable insurance is such a hassle (and adds at least 20% to any quotes) I just want a bike that's totally standard and easy (and cheap) to insure.

I checked with my insurers and they do class it as a modified bike, but couldn't tell me how it would affect a quote (i.e. up because it's modified, or down because it's lower power.)[/quote]

Insurance shouldn't be too bad. It didn't affect the Sv when I had it restricted.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"