Quote Originally Posted by slowr1der
[quote author=NoYou link=1306142476/17#17 date=1306271340][quote author=monday21 link=1306142476/16#16 date=1306260235]Perhaps someone could explain, but I fail to see how this new legislation will deter those road users who drive/ride on public roads without insurance. Surely they will just declare SORN and continue as before? Or am I just not getting it?
The point of it is that to catch somebody for driving without insurance requires much more work than catching somebody driving a vehicle declared as off the road, to check a vehicles insurance a request has to go to the insurance company they are registered with and also means lots and lots of paperwork whereas a vehicle declared off the road can be detected by those auto scanning cameras in police cars. (Don't quote me on that but I'm fairly sure thats right ;])
Geo[/quote]

A vehicle with no insurance can be detected by ANPR as well, it only then takes a phone call to the insurance company or MIB to confirm the insurance.

I believe this is aimed more at this kind of scenario..........

A family have 2 cars registered in seperate names but only one insurance policy is taken out by the couple for one vehicle. The second vehicle remains at the side of the road uninsured when its not being driven but insured when driven by a person with a fully comp policy that enables them to drive other vehicles.

[/quote]

i think what you are saying only works if the other vehicle is insured.
for example, your mate is drunk you take his car from the pub, you insurance covers you driving your mates car as long as its insured.

if your mate car doesnt have insurance, then it wont work.

or else everyone would be getting insurance on a 1.0 Micra... and buying a 3L turbo to drive around...