Notices

Thread: Advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    You'll be hard pushed to find a roadbike and a trackbike for £1500 I'd imagine - bearing in mind a trackbike needs to be pushed to its limits, and a road bike needs to pass its MOT

as an example, my off roader was £690 - a bargain until you add on the £400 I've spent on it getting it to a state where it can be used offroad properly
    which off roader do you have? are we talking 4x4?
    as I have a Defender 90 just for off road use..

2. Re: Advice 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpssantos
    [quote author=Dabz link=1311065013/1#1 date=1311065327]You'll be hard pushed to find a roadbike and a trackbike for £1500 I'd imagine - bearing in mind a trackbike needs to be pushed to its limits, and a road bike needs to pass its MOT

as an example, my off roader was £690 - a bargain until you add on the £400 I've spent on it getting it to a state where it can be used offroad properly
    as I have a Defender 90 just for off road use.. [/quote]
    we're talking off road bike ;D

3. Re: Advice 
    btw... I might be selling my Citroen C5 estate HDi (diesel) for about £600 soon....

she has 170k miles, on a 51 plate, but never gave any problems, doesnt even drink any oil...
    only reason for selling is because I want to get something better....

She does have some "issues", that's why the 600 quid..
    I drive her everyday though and recently did 2000 miles in a week with no problems... the only prob is she wears tyres quickly

4. Re: Advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=jpssantos link=1311065013/10#10 date=1311070481][quote author=Dabz link=1311065013/1#1 date=1311065327]You'll be hard pushed to find a roadbike and a trackbike for £1500 I'd imagine - bearing in mind a trackbike needs to be pushed to its limits, and a road bike needs to pass its MOT

we're talking off road bike ;D[/quote]

hooo right! one of those I would llooooove to have, but im such a short arse i cant reach the floor

5. Re: Advice 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpssantos
    [quote author=NoYou link=1311065013/11#11 date=1311070538][quote author=jpssantos link=1311065013/10#10 date=1311070481][quote author=Dabz link=1311065013/1#1 date=1311065327]You'll be hard pushed to find a roadbike and a trackbike for £1500 I'd imagine - bearing in mind a trackbike needs to be pushed to its limits, and a road bike needs to pass its MOT

we're talking off road bike ;D[/quote]

hooo right! one of those I would llooooove to have, but im such a short arse i cant reach the floor [/quote]
    haha i'm sure you could find one to fit you!

6. Re: Advice 
    yep... probably a 125 pit bike!

I used to have a Stomp pit bike, quite good fun down the plains in Salisbury, plus it fits in the back of the land rover, so I could take both toys off roading

I looked at the KTM250 before, just to have a go, but the sell fell through... dont think i could manage to reach the floor though..

7. Re: Advice 
    the yamaha serow (225cc) is a nice short off roader, there are a few short ones out there!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: Advice 
    Why don't you just get some cheap plastics and track the Kawi? Be much cheaper than buying an old dog and having to spend most of the season getting it upto scratch.

9. Re: Advice 
    Hmmm, £1500 would be a fair budget for a cheap trackbike on its own if you wanted anything half decent and less than 15 years old - there was a cheap 400 for sale on here a few weeks ago but there were no takers so a lucky punter on ebay snapped it up for £560, and very pleased with it he was too. You could buy a cheap shed (like Nathan's FZR400 that was on here months ago) but you'd end up spending loads on it just to make it usable and safe - the "safe" bit is what can cost, if you were to take a bike on track with knackered engine, brakes, bearings, tyres, chain and sprockets etc it could cost you a heap more and hurt you as well - it needn't be pretty, that's an accusation that could never really have been levelled at Star's 400, but that was as sound as a pound.
    Dabz' suggestion of getting a track fairing for your road bike has validity if you're trying to do it on a budget - you'll get the hang of swapping fairings after a while, and will learn to hate all the crap that road bikes have on them (that I promise you!). The downside is the consequence of lobbing your road bike, but the only person who'll crash it is you. Given your situation I'd be inclined to do this and save your pennies for a proper track bike and ultimately a better road bike (amongst other things...)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: Advice 
    Diamond Member
    Sounds like it could be a plan then. Hopefully next year I'll have more of a budget for the track days so want to make sure I've got at least the bare essentials.

Other than track fairing, what else would you recommend getting? Spare wheels & tyres, stands, levers etc?

I'm hoping that I can get it so that if it does go down the road, I can just put all the road bits back on and it be good as new. Or is that a bit ambitious? Negating a HUGE crash of course!