Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
[quote author=470four link=1315658258/3#3 date=1315686705]Lifesavers prove their worth when riding with other bikes, when those damn motorcyclists come zooming up behind you from nowhere and sit in your blindspot...
Over 40mph I don't bother as the distance I travel while looking behind me is more dangerous IMO. I rely on knowing whats behind me at all times, not just when I want to make a move.
[/quote]

A Life Saver is a 1 second glace to your left or right to about 90 degrees or there abouts. There is next to no time in taking to look enough to fill your peripheral vision with enough information to tell you whether it is safe to pull out or not.. Its only your head moving nothing else.

An over the shoulder check , different kettle of fish as its a full look back and it can change the direction of your bars with your body moving, normally only done from a standstill before pulling away

By rights the distance travelled shouldn't matter as you should be within the 2 second rule gap from the vehicle in front and if not you have lined youself up sufficiently for a quick glance before that overtaking manouvre..... Just an observation