Notices

Thread: Small number plates. You might just be ok

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Small number plates. You might just be ok 
    Platinum Member
    Sorry for the tea spray dude...hope you didn't scald anyone ;D

Balls to ACPO...i'm more up for DD guidlines

.......now where do we sign the petition [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

2. Re: Small number plates. You might just be ok 
    i shall bear all this in mind for when i get my personalised plate made up next year :P
    think its gonna go on a bike as im likely to get that before a new car and im hoping for a fairly new car :P

i just got as excited as i was on birthday recieving just by the thought of having it on my own bike! (must remember to put the paper work in a safe place)

3. Re: Small number plates. You might just be ok 
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaDog
    [quote author=Bornagain link=1285974631/0#0 date=1285974631]ACPO Guidelines on Number Plates

Basically, although small plates are technically illegal, the standing advice from the ACPO is that a clear distinction should be drawn between vanity plates that are slightly outside the regs and those that are taking the piss. The following is drawn from the Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy produced by the ACPO in 2006:

"Registration plates, the test to be applied, if not easily legible from 20.5 metres, prosecution and inform DVLA.

Whilst accepting that this is a technical offence, there are concerns regarding the misuse of registration plates on motorcycles.

It is well recognised that there are many technological advances in automated detection and enforcement equipment, most of which rely upon remote reading of registration plates.

It is difficult for enforcement agencies to differentiate between the individual who wishes to make a fashion statement or enhance the appearance of their machine from one who is deliberately attempting to avoid detection for criminal purposes.

It is with this rationale that it has been decided not to focus on the technicalities of the size of the plate or font size to comply with current legislation, but to apply a simple test of legibility, based upon the standard eyesight test for riders and drivers."

So if you can read your plate from 20.5m away, and you get pulled for a small plate, it could save you a fine to ask politely why the officer is choosing to ignore the ACPO's Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy.

Please spread the word...it could save you some cash [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Liam

I sprayed a mouthful of tea everywhere when I read this. ACPO using common sense is about as common as rocking horse droppings. Usually the stuff they send out is politically correct fluffy wuffy pyschobabble rubbish and tends to get filed in the cabinet marked bin.

Policeman officer DaytonaDog Sir guidelines on number plates is simples: Got much better things to be doing with my time so I don't give a rats arse to be honest. [/quote]

;D ;D ;D
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

4. Re: Small number plates. You might just be ok 
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    [quote author=Dex link=1285974631/0#1 date=1285983511]Or ride with a legal plate. That also saves you from prosecution.
    I agree! Can't be bothered with the hastle and it's the law anyway. The number plate is only legal If it has the garage/retail who issued the plate stamped on the bottom of the plate and only will issue plates that conform to the legal standard! So the police officer can use that against you If they so wish! I am not a spoil sport but I don't give the police an excuse to hastle me for nothing! [smiley=happy.gif][/quote]

I'm with the above. Legal plate, legal type, no problems. Added advantage to my mind is that the number plate is a big yellow reflector on the back of the bike.... other road users are known to be hard sighted, why make yourself less visable by reducing the size of the biggest reflector on the back of the bike!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"