Yep, it's all true. Obviously I think anyone riding a bike should wear the suitable clothing. But I have two issues.

1. At the moment we all have freedom of choice as to what we wear when riding, with the exception of the helmet. As much as I hate to see anyone riding in the wrong sort of gear, it's their choice. Educate, not legislate. This could be the tip of the iceberg, where it becomes law that you have to wear motorcycle gear. When I first started riding as a poor teenager, I didn't have (couldn't afford) the proper gear, so wore whatever did the job reasonably well. We have enough laws putting folks off getting on a bike. We don't need anymore.

2. There will be certain examiner's who will take the new rules to the extreme, and bar some from taking their test, maybe because the boot doesn't quite cover enough ankle.

I'm sure there will be scope for legal action. If the law doesn't dictate motorcycle clothing, how can the DSA?

Just from my own point of view, I won't train anyone who doesn't take clothing seriously. I've sent people home who have turned up in hoodies and shorts. I've even had a lady turn up in skirt and stilletoes... :