Not sure that would be the same to be honest scotty, one of the things i love about riding with a larger group on organized rides is i don't have to worry about how I'm going to get where I'm going i can just enjoy the roads knowing there will be somebody waiting at the next turn off and i'll end up at a nice place at the end of it, by having people meeting in smaller groups and making their own way, it's no different to just meeting up with a few mates and going out for a blat, in fact it is probably worse because instead of just going round not really worrying about where your going so long as you can find your way back you would then have to try and find your way to another meeting point. The good thing about Trowbridge meeting is its a fairly central point for most people.
If the size of the group is getting to be a problem then a good solution may be to have a scenic group and a progressive group, or however you want to split it up, the scenic group could set out half hour earlier or so depending on how different in length the different routes would be etc. and then the progressive group could set off after, that way the groups are smaller so we don't disrupt the traffic too badly and the two groups will arrive at the final destination at more similar times.