Notices

Thread: removing grease

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: removing grease 
    thanks for all the suggestions, the nice smelling polish sounds good I'll give it a go!!!

2. Re: removing grease 
    Platinum Member
    I'd go with WD40 for this.

Also bare in mind....
    If you use silicon polish on paintwork, the silicon will get into the lacquer and make any future touch-up repairs incredibly difficult as no new paint will adhere properly.

Muc Off will eat into your paint and leave streaks unless you're very careful with it. BMW are refusing warranty work on paint damage and corrosion if they suspect a bike's been washed with Muc Off as it can eat into paintwork and bare alloy. It's incredibly aggressive stuff, if you have to use it water it down 5:1, it's then approaching a safe strength to use on a bike's various finishes.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

3. Re: removing grease 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    I'd go with WD40 for this.
    Funk, i just spat coffee everywhere!!!

4. Re: removing grease 
    Diamond Member
    I use SDdoc100 gel cleaner. It's neutral ph and works very well. I have just used it to clean up my bike after riding through winter and not washing the bike at all for four months. The ACF50 has looked after the metalwork (apart from the headers) and the bike looks like new. It is expensive but I only use it neat when I have real thick muck to get off, otherwise I dilute it 4:1 which works well for general cleaning duties over the spring, summer and autumn.

5. Re: removing grease 
    Diamond Member
    Quick question on WD40, it says online that it doesn't affect rubber. However, I'm assuming that, as it's a lubricant, if it does get on your tyres at all, it will somewhat decrease your grip levels?

That's whay put me off using it around the wheels and chain, the fact that any spray that went out of bounds, may get on the tyres/brake discs and mess them up...

I use a rag, with a dab of white spirit, as even when rinsing off after with water, if it does get on tyres it shouldn't affect their ability to stick to the road. Is that wrong, am I misguided/informed?

6. Re: removing grease 
    WD40 in modest quantities is fine, watch where you spray it and don't put too much on, then wipe off the grease with an old rag.

Top Tip: don't waste money on aerosol cans of WD40, go to somewhere like Cromwell Tools and buy it in a spray bottle and get a 5lt. container of the stuff to refill it - I bought mine about 12 years ago and still haven't emptied it yet... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

7. Re: removing grease 
    Diamond Member

8. Re: removing grease 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WD40-5-LITRE-%26-WD-40-SPRAY-BOTTLE-PENETRANT-LUBRICANT-_W0QQitemZ300529825083QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=215969 730481&rvr_id=215969730481&cguid=fe7359ba1 290a0aad21646e6feb0e090
    £10 postage!!! Get thisen to motor factors!

9. Re: removing grease 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WD40-5-LITRE-%26-WD-40-SPRAY-BOTTLE-PENETRANT-LUBRICANT-_W0QQitemZ300529825083QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=215969 730481&rvr_id=215969730481&cguid=fe7359ba1 290a0aad21646e6feb0e090
    £27.60 is a bit steep. I can do the same 5l tub plus a WD40 squirty bottle for £23.10 delivered to your door. Maybe cheaper elsewhere, have a poke round the net and see what you can find.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

10. Re: removing grease 
    Thanks for the advice Nooj