If you are correct in your economic analysis Mitch, why is it that the three main unionist parties (Lib-Dems, Tories and Labour) blocked a referendum in the previous Scottish parliament session? That will not happen in this term because the Nats have a working majority to push a referendum through. Alex Salmond is a very shrewd politician and I’m sure he will carefully gauge the mood of the nation before setting a date. When the time does arrive, watch the so called political heavyweights from the unionist parties venture north of the border in their droves, to fight with vigour on the side of the no campaign.

We must not forget that the political landscape in Scotland is very different from that in England. Most of the marginal constituencies are fought to win the left of centre votes.

I accept that the 1 million (approx) Scots who voted SNP last Thursday are not all supporters of independence, but many are fed up of being ruled by a Tory government in Westminster which has no mandate in Scotland. Margaret Thatcher even had the audacity to introduce the unpopular ‘Poll Tax’ one year earlier in Scotland.
Going back to the economic argument, I will not put you to sleep with statistics, but offer up one example. The SNP is committed to scrapping Trident and all nuclear weapons, which would save an independent Scotland £3 billion. At least now the people of Scotland will have the opportunity to decide their own destiny.