Notices

Thread: Covering the back brake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Covering the back brake 
    Platinum Member
    Definitely balls of my feet on the pegs.

Although IIRC RoSPA say to cover the rear brake and gear lever at all times in case you need them. Yet they also say don't cover the front brake and clutch as your observations should give you plenty of time to reach them.

My advice, do what's comfortable. If you're not comfy, you can't concentrate or ride properly.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

2. Re: Covering the back brake 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    Definitely balls of my feet on the pegs.

Although IIRC RoSPA say to cover the rear brake and gear lever at all times in case you need them. Yet they also say don't cover the front brake and clutch as your observations should give you plenty of time to reach them.

My advice, do what's comfortable. If you're not comfy, you can't concentrate or ride properly.
    Again, I find the 'so-called' RoSPA experts contradict themselves. If you are in the habit of riding with your foot covering the rear brake, chances are you'll be standing on that way before you've got your fingers to the front brake. Personally, I think covering any brake is a bad habit. In a panic, you would naturally tense without a thought for control. Wheels lock, out of control, fall off bike, or hit the obstruction you were trying to avoid.

To answer the question:-

Around town I ride with my right foot sticking out slightly, ready to pivot onto the rear brake whenever it's necessary.

On the open road, my braking is more planned, and therefore ride with the ball of my foot on the peg.

Hope that helps... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

3. Re: Covering the back brake 
    I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs unless I need to change gear / brake. I find it aids in ground clearance, gives better 'feel' for what the bike's doing and also forces you to get your braking and gearing out of the way prior to the corner / roundabout etc, which is a good thing.

Not sure I fully agree with the notion of forgetting about the rear brake, I use it all the time as I find it helps keep the bike balanced during braking, but horses for courses I guess!

4. Re: Covering the back brake 
    Diamond Member
    i cover the rear brake all the time........................when the front wheel is in the air... :-)