Notices

Thread: ICE Phone numbers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    have just added a ICE contact to my phone and i'm gonna mention it to everyone i know. what a good idea!

2. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    Platinum Member
    I think, as it's a gadget i may invest in the USB ones's

3. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    Diamond Member
    I spoke to my wife (shes in the fire brigade if you didnt know) and they wont put the USB device into any of there PC's as they run via Citrix and if the device is riddled with Viruses this will take the whole network down. Just thought I would put my two penths worth in.

4. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    ONFIRE
    Difficult call... save someones life or bring down a entire network putting further lives at risk :-/

I am off to the Vets to get a Micro - chip :P ;D ;D ;D 8-)

5. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    Platinum Member
    Ha Ha, micro chip, much better option!!

6. Re: ICE Phone numbers 

There are two elements to UTAG:

- The ability to identify an accident victim and obtain his emergency contact details.

- Pass on any medical information that may be helpful in an emergency situation.

The first part invariably falls to the police and we are in constant contact with them (particularly through the Bikesafe scheme which they promote) and this has worked well. Just about every policeman you talk to will have an experience of trying to identify an accident victim and how difficult this can sometimes be so they can immediately see the benefit. Most of the traffic police have laptops in their car (to check your tax, insurance etc.) so they have the means to check your UTAG. If they do not have a laptop in the car, they will take it to the police station.

The UTAG project has only just got underway so these are early days but we have already had some success selling UTAG to the police and it is already in use with some police services. In time, we are hopeful that all police officers will carry a UTAG in either a dogtag or ICE card format.

With regard the passing on of medical information, the Department of Health IT security policy clearly stipulates that they anticipate the use of usb devices and insist that virus protection is kept at a very high level. Clearly therefore there is no problem within the NHS regarding the use of UTAG and, as a read only device, there is no danger. There are other companies that have used usb devices to present patient medical information before so, although UTAG is the first that specifically aims at the “emergency sector”, the use of external usb devices to convey medical information to the NHS is not new and the proper procedures within the NHS are in place.

What we do have to do is make sure that as many people within the NHS are aware of UTAG and the benefit it can be. If there was to be a problem it would be through ignorance of what UTAG is rather than from a specific policy. We have an on going program of contacting A&E hospitals with literature regarding UTAG. We have also advertised UTAG for several months in “Emergency Nurse” magazine which is read by the majority of A&E nurses and we have had a good response from this advert with most asking for further information and posters. We have not had one negative comment or any feedback indicating that UTAG would not be used.

The NHS is a huge organisation and getting the UTAG message out is a task. However, we can approach the NHS now from the point of view that UTAG is being a great success with thousands already being sold and that interest is high.

Best Regards

Dereck

Dereck Pickering

Business Operations Director

7. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    Interesting stuff!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

8. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    I also wear an SOS Talisman pendant which contains my medical history, current medications and contact number.

There's also Bikertagz http://www.bikertagz.com/

9. Re: ICE Phone numbers 
    ONFIRE
    There may well be an alternative and possibly quicker answer to this overall over complicated debate.

I assume this device is mainly targeted at people with a known medical problem or problems?

Well if it is I have a Unique Hospital number which the NHS can input into their DB and all my known medical history address next of kin e.t.c. will be revealed. Would this not be a simple solution in carrying your Hospital number on a pendant of some sort officially recognized by the NHS.

N.B. Don't forget to carry your Donor Card [smiley=thumbsup.gif]