Nobody is happy paying the prices we do. I put £80 in one of the cars yesterday and it's costing £50 to fill the GS up. Of course I'm not happy. But, before I sign any petition or protest about fuel prices, I want to know where the balance is going to be made up. There will be no drop in tax on fuel without another tax going up or a cutback somewhere else in the budget.

I would prefer keeping fuel prices where they are, where I have some means of control over what I pay because I have some choice over my mileage (as most do) rather than closure of NHS services, increases to basic rate tax, VAT or some other scheme that will hit the less well off than the majority of us on this forum who ride bikes with a degree of choice.

I have to use my car for work as well. But I can do one less rideout a year, or miss a couple of trips to the H&C a year, or ride at 70mph instead of 80 mph on the motorway, or combine two trips into one in the car etc etc. Its so easy to complain without having an alternative which is'nt based on personal politics, biased attitudes or general apathy to actually having a complete plan of action as part of a bigger picture.