Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
I agree they are annoying, but with half the driving population seemingly blind to cycles, they seem to have become essential. The fundemental issue is that people need to look! Cycles are around and entitled to be on the road, they must obey the rules of the road and other users should be patient and remember that one person only generates about 0.5 bhp, a lot less than the average car!!!
Agreed - I pass lots of cycle on my way into work, and while most of them follow the rules of the road (those get my respect and I will give them the space and time they need) I see so many who take no notice of the rules of the road - running red lights, flying across pedestrian crossings, hopping on and off pavements, pulling out in traffic without even a backward glance...those are the ones who need to change their attitudes.

On the subject of flashy lights, I've got to say they are easier to spot at a distance! There's one guy who has two static and one flashing light on the back of his bike - I can see him from about half a mile away! ;D