Notices

Thread: Biker down course

1. Biker down course 
    Platinum Member
    About 5 years ago I did a biker down 1st aid course with Wiltshire air ambulance, today it paid out.

I was 5 mins from home, driving along in my car, middle of no where and suddenly Im confronted with an unconscious biker on the road and the bike in a hedge.
    Im pleased to say what I learnt (and thought Id forgot) was instantly the only thing in my mind, the brain is amazing. Not entirely sure what happened but theres a lot of odd things, the header pipes were cold, she was heavily unconscious but already in the recovery position when I got to her and the bikes ignition turned of with the keys removed but thats all for the police to work out, the important thing is when she was put in the ambulance she was breathing.

Do the course, its worth the time.

Well done, not sure I would have known how to react to coming across that scene. Sounds odd, fingers crossed the rider is okay

[QUOTE=Badger-Roy;493179]About 5 years ago I did a biker down 1st aid course with Wiltshire air ambulance, today it paid out.

I was 5 mins from home, driving along in my car, middle of no where and suddenly Im confronted with an unconscious biker on the road and the bike in a hedge.
    Im pleased to say what I learnt (and thought Id forgot) was instantly the only thing in my mind, the brain is amazing. Not entirely sure what happened but theres a lot of odd things, the header pipes were cold, she was heavily unconscious but already in the recovery position when I got to her and the bikes ignition turned of with the keys removed but thats all for the police to work out, the important thing is when she was put in the ambulance she was breathing. [/QUOTE

Hmmm,
    I'm thinking there was a 3rd party involved before you got there, re; ignition+recovery position, maybe they were also the cause of the scene ?
    header pipes.... could be one of those riders that ride off as soon as the bike is started and incident occurred shortly after, so warm headers cooled off quick?
    As you say a bit odd.
    I assume (yes i know about assuming lol) that the police were on scene. where was it as it might be in the local rag
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    [QUOTE=Trev_P;493182]
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    About 5 years ago I did a biker down 1st aid course with Wiltshire air ambulance, today it paid out.

Im pleased to say what I learnt (and thought Id forgot) was instantly the only thing in my mind, the brain is amazing. Not entirely sure what happened but theres a lot of odd things, the header pipes were cold, she was heavily unconscious but already in the recovery position when I got to her and the bikes ignition turned of with the keys removed but thats all for the police to work out, the important thing is when she was put in the ambulance she was breathing. [/QUOTE

Hmmm,
    I'm thinking there was a 3rd party involved before you got there, re; ignition+recovery position, maybe they were also the cause of the scene ?
    header pipes.... could be one of those riders that ride off as soon as the bike is started and incident occurred shortly after, so warm headers cooled off quick?
    As you say a bit odd.
    I assume (yes i know about assuming lol) that the police were on scene. where was it as it might be in the local rag
    It was near Upavon, something that occurred to me last night laying in bed was maybe she wasn?t the rider, maybe she was pillion and the rider did a bunk for whatever reason.
    And yes there was lots of police there plus for some reason 2 ambulances and the air ambulance (which wasn?t needed in the end).
    but I did my bit and iv given my statement so I?m filing it away in the ?not gonna dwell on it drawer?, iv got more than enough PTSD from my own car accident to dwell on

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post

Im pleased to say what I learnt (and thought Id forgot) was instantly the only thing in my mind, the brain is amazing. Not entirely sure what happened but theres a lot of odd things, the header pipes were cold, she was heavily unconscious but already in the recovery position when I got to her and the bikes ignition turned of with the keys removed but thats all for the police to work out, the important thing is when she was put in the ambulance she was breathing.

Do the course, its worth the time.
    Great work Badger & great advice
    I’ve done a couple of courses over the years. Sadly now mostly forgotten.
    I really should attend another.
    Everything else is shyte

Most curious,

Well done Badger.

LT, when needed, it's surprising what you remember and even a little help is better than none and can make the difference.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”