Notices

Thread: Hi everyone,does anyone ride Salisbury plane

1. Hi everyone,does anyone ride Salisbury plane 
    Came across this forum whilst trying to find out about Salisbury plane.I live in Melksham,I have just sold a Kawasaki Z900rs and bought a KTM excf 350 and want to try some Green laning,nothing to serious as I am now getting on in years.If anyone rides this area and is willing to show me around it would be much appreciated
    many thanks
    Rick

Hi and welcome to WB. It's a bit slow on here nowadays as FB has taken over.

Regarding Green Laning; your best bet is to join the TRF, (Trail Riders Fellowship) Although a national group, there is a Wiltshire group who meet for a social monthly at The Pilot in Melksham. They do lots of runs each month catering for beginners through to experts, gentle to challenging routes, including many routes using the plain. Much of the plain can be out of bounds at any given time due to MOD exercises when the red flags are up and you can get your bike confiscated if you are in the wrong place. You probably already know, your bike has to be street legal to ride on the plain and byways.
    https://www.facebook.com/wiltshiretrf
    Last edited by BB; 11-05-23 at 11:30 AM.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Unfortunately you can only see the 'open' FB page. The private to members page is very active. If you post on there asking for info I'm sure someone will get back to you.
    Last edited by BB; 11-05-23 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster1963 View Post
    Came across this forum whilst trying to find out about Salisbury plane.I live in Melksham,I have just sold a Kawasaki Z900rs and bought a KTM excf 350 and want to try some Green laning,nothing to serious as I am now getting on in years.If anyone rides this area and is willing to show me around it would be much appreciated
    many thanks
    Rick
    Hi and Welcome to WB
    you will find that most of us are not far off in years so your in good company
    FB will probably turn you brain into mush after a while in the same way that these reality tv shows do to people and they then join thick thok
    probably trev could give you some tips etc, no not me the other trev
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    Hi and Welcome to WB
    you will find that most of us are not far off in years so your in good company
    FB will probably turn you brain into mush after a while in the same way that these reality tv shows do to people and they then join thick thok
    probably trev could give you some tips etc, no not me the other trev
    This Trev?

Happy to give what knowledge i have but it's mainly South Wilts/North Dorset BOATS I use like the Ox Drove. I do venture onto the Plain but it's not my venue of choice for various reasons and I would deffo also recommend the TRF - good routes, organisation and members

Thanks all for your replies,I have found the TRF in Melksham and will pop to the Pilot to have a chat.
    Just wondering Trev you mentioned the Plain is not your venue of choice why is that,I?m only just starting out going off road,also I need somewhere near Melksham

Thanks all for your replies,I have found the TRF in Melksham and will pop to the Pilot to have a chat.
    Just wondering Trev you mentioned the Plain is not your venue of choice why is that,I?m only just starting out going off road,also I need somewhere near Melksham
    Several reasons:

I have entrance onto some decent green lanes within less than 15 minutes from me whereas the plain, or at least the nearest to where I can ride on it, is over 30 mins away

I'm never entirely sure which parts are legal to ride and whether they are open on the particular day/time I get there

When wet, which is quite often here in the UK, the chalk surfaces on the plain are very, very slippery

I prefer the nadgery 'proper' green lanes rather than the wide open tracks that much, but not all, of the plain consists of

Main reason is definitely the first, convenience, I'm sure if I had access to the plain ten minutes from me I would right it much more often. Good luck with your new riding adventure, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

You are right there, Trev. That chalk can be as slippery as ice when damp!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Thanks for your help Trev

Thanks for your help Trev
    No problem ........ and don't let me put you off riding the plain, I'm a very average off road rider and am only riding a knobbly equipped Himalayan ; )