Notices

Thread: Ride Magazine - E10 fuel article

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    I thought the same, very odd.
    Possibly some sort of local refinery issue ?
    But as we’re not affected
    Agree... I normally use Shell V-Power but reading what you found, Esso Supreme 99 is ethanol free. I will try Esso just to see if i notice any difference. One thing i will do is when i hibernate the bike next winter it will be Esso i think.

I found this on the internet:
    https://www.morebikes.co.uk/news/354...anol-e10-fuel/

The interesting section was:

It reacts with oxygen to produce acetic acid, and unlike most of the chemicals in your fuel, it’s also hygroscopic, which means it loves to absorb water. If left, it can become saturated with water, which then starts to corrode your fuel system (including that nice big steel fuel tank). It get worse the older your bike is: it’s vicious stuff when it comes to fibreglass tanks (it eats the lining), it nibbles away at aluminium, and it perishes rubber pipes, diaphragms and O-rings.

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    Agree... I normally use Shell V-Power but reading what you found, Esso Supreme 99 is ethanol free. I will try Esso just to see if i notice any difference. One thing i will do is when i hibernate the bike next winter it will be Esso i think.

I found this on the internet:
    https://www.morebikes.co.uk/news/354...anol-e10-fuel/

The interesting section was:

It reacts with oxygen to produce acetic acid, and unlike most of the chemicals in your fuel, it’s also hygroscopic, which means it loves to absorb water. If left, it can become saturated with water, which then starts to corrode your fuel system (including that nice big steel fuel tank). It get worse the older your bike is: it’s vicious stuff when it comes to fibreglass tanks (it eats the lining), it nibbles away at aluminium, and it perishes rubber pipes, diaphragms and O-rings.
    Yep, every aspect of it is awful.
    It’s truly horrid stuff.
    Everything else is shyte

It’s truly horrid stuff.
    Never realised at all.

It’s truly horrid stuff.
    Very horrid indeed!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”