Notices

Thread: Ride Magazine - E10 fuel article

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ride Magazine - E10 fuel article 
    There is an article in the latest Ride Magazine on E10 fuel and vehicles. It mentions the below website to check compatibility, it does also say if in doubt you can buy Super Unleaded as that remains E5.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    There is an article in the latest Ride Magazine on E10 fuel and vehicles. It mentions the below website to check compatibility, it does also say if in doubt you can buy Super Unleaded as that remains E5.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol
    Also you will lose around 5-6% MPG so more frequent fill ups.
    bit of a strange logic, more ethanol = greener fuel but you use more....
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

It's not greener, same crap as Lithium batteries, the champagne swillers in the home counties congratulate themselves on being greener having simply moved the issue elsewhere. Look up the production of ethanol around the world for this stuff. It's tearing up important ecosystems, taking food out of supply chains meant to feed people, nothing green about it at all.

And as you rightly point out the drop in MPG is another kick in the balls, pay the same for a worse product.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    It's not greener, same crap as Lithium batteries, the champagne swillers in the home counties congratulate themselves on being greener having simply moved the issue elsewhere. Look up the production of ethanol around the world for this stuff. It's tearing up important ecosystems, taking food out of supply chains meant to feed people, nothing green about it at all.

And as you rightly point out the drop in MPG is another kick in the balls, pay the same for a worse product.
    I got it confused with methanol which is the greener version ??????? i dunno its all blx to me

Chatterbox
    There is an ethanol free option available

From Esso,

What is the ethanol content of your fuels?

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (Except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist.
    Last edited by Last Train; 11-05-21 at 05:30 PM.
    Everything else is shyte

Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post

From Esso,

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (Except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist.
    Thanks, I already use Super unleaded or similar for my XS650 but am going to try and use it on all my bikes where possible. I don't do enough mileage (less than 10k a year) to worry about any extra cost, particularly as the marginal extra mpg may compensate for most of it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    I got it confused with methanol which is the greener version ??????? i dunno its all blx to me
    Ethanol is "greener" than petrol when burned. So tailpipes spew less crap. The issue is the huge amount of land being torn up (often important rain forest)and already viable food producing land (often in places where they struggle to feed people) being flipped to produce crops to create biofuels and ethanol for adding to fuel. Basically to make our relatively clean air that tiny bit cleaner we are enacting mass scale slash and burn across the world with all the much more significant long term harm that causes.

Even the claims of ethical sourcing have been largely discredited as the least ethical stuff has been found to simply be mixed with the supposed ethical stuff.

It really is horrendous. I watched a documentary on it and thought, "naah must be a vested interest here". Went away and did a bit of research and realised it really was as bad as the program had shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Thanks, I already use Super unleaded or similar for my XS650 but am going to try and use it on all my bikes where possible. I don't do enough mileage (less than 10k a year) to worry about any extra cost, particularly as the marginal extra mpg may compensate for most of it anyway
    back in the day when I was a young tearaway.. i used to put a couple of gallons of No7 Trimite paint thinner in my ford excort mk1 gt when i could not afford petrol. could not have been doing much for all the petrol seals though

Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post

From Esso,

I had to read this twice as thought !!!! Except Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland. Why ?? What a strange set up.....

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    I had to read this twice as thought !!!! Except Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland. Why ?? What a strange set up.....
    I thought the same, very odd.
    Possibly some sort of local refinery issue ?
    But as we’re not affected
    Everything else is shyte