Notices

Thread: Black / Silver Plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Black / Silver Plates 
    This note is to tell you about important changes being introduced on 1 January 2021 that affect the ability of vehicles registered in the historic tax class to display the old style pre-1973 black and silver number plates.

Following the change in definition of a historic vehicle for vehicle tax exemption purposes in 2015, an issue was identified in the regulatory requirements for the valid display of a black and silver number plate. This resulted in an unintended consequence where any vehicle over 40 years old and registered in the historic tax class would be permitted to display an old style black and silver number plate. This was despite the law previously requiring all vehicles first registered after 1 January 1973 to only display the yellow and white number plates with black characters.

As this was never the intention, we have sought to rectify this through a legal correction which will shortly be implemented. The change seeks to prevent any vehicle constructed after 1 January 1980 from the ability to display the black and silver number plate despite being recorded in the DVLA’s historic tax class. Those vehicles with a construction date prior to 1 January 1980 will continue to be able to legally display black and silver number plates to avoid any undue costs of replacement.

Your members may also wish to note that from 1 January it will no longer be permissible to fix a new number plate displaying a Euro symbol. Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected. We will also be introducing a new British Standard for number plates produced from 1 September 2021 which will mean all current style number plates that are first fixed to a vehicle from that date must meet the technical requirements contained in that standard.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Ta, nice to know what regulations I'm ignoring

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Ta, nice to know what regulations I'm ignoring
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Yes, I saw that earlier. A guy I know has literally just got himself an illegal plate before he knew it was illegal lol
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post

I think enforcement of plate standards varies a lot with Police force, I don't run black and silver but I do have various sizes. In Wilts nobody seems to care but last time I was stopped in South Wales the bloke got out of his car with a tape measure. He actually looked disappointed my letters were correct to the mm.

I agree, I have 8 x 6 on a few bikes and never been stopped or questioned, here or anywhere actually (even in Wales!) but they don't look ridiculously small as only an inch under regs. My 1972 XS has black and white (hand painted it seems!) and never been asked about it. Probably the main reason is that I very rarely see any coppers out on the roads these days, certainly the more rural ones.

Platinum Member
    Iv got a tiny 7inx4in plate on my cruiser as it’s an American import and the holder is made for a small US size plate, iv owned it for 3 years since it was imported and never been pulled.
    Iv got a full size plate that I put on for MOT day and it looks absolutely ridiculous fitted.

On a side note the last MOT tester said it’s not a fail to have a mini plate fitted as long as it’s easily readable but it is illegal to ride it on the road so you could literally ride out of the garage after it passing and get a ticket for an illegal plate

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    On a side note the last MOT tester said it’s not a fail to have a mini plate fitted as long as it’s easily readable but it is illegal to ride it on the road so you could literally ride out of the garage after it passing and get a ticket for an illegal plate
    He best hope he doesn't pass a DVSA bait one, while they don't have to "measure" they are expected to reject anything obviously incorrect https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...of-the-vehicle

However your cruiser if the plate mount looks to be made in such a way only a tiny one fits maybe legally ok for MOT due to this line, for the sake of 2 bolts probably not worth arguing with the tester though.

Imported motorcycles that do not have the space for a standard sized registration plate can have a smaller registration plate.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    He best hope he doesn't pass a DVSA bait one, while they don't have to "measure" they are expected to reject anything obviously incorrect https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-insp...of-the-vehicle

However your cruiser if the plate mount looks to be made in such a way only a tiny one fits maybe legally ok for MOT due to this line, for the sake of 2 bolts probably not worth arguing with the tester though.

Yup, a small plate is a fail if the MOT tester is doing their job correctly, for sure some turn a blind eye but most won't