Notices

Thread: MAG & 2030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MAG & 2030 
    Chatterbox
    MAG receives confirmation that motorcycles are ‘not in scope’ for 2030 end of sale of petrol and diesel vehicles.

https://www.mag-uk.org/motorcycles-n...9lS-KymJHeuYUI
    Everything else is shyte

I'm not sure where we will be getting our fuel from though, all the petrol stations will be shut!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I'm not sure where we will be getting our fuel from though, all the petrol stations will be shut!
    That’s true

I wonder if Bozo is just paying a bit of lip service to the tree huggers with the whole 2030 thing ?
    Everything else is shyte

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    look on the roads, most cars are 10 years + old so IF they do (big if IMO) stop making petrol/diesel vehicles in 2030 then realistically come 2045 and beyond there will still be petrol stations open to run those cars, unless of course the whole country suddenly becomes affluent enough to spend 30 odd grand on a glorified milk float, which with the current situation seems sadly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    That’s true

I wonder if Bozo is just paying a bit of lip service to the tree huggers with the whole 2030 thing ?
    I agree i really can't see it myself, 10 years and all the infrastructure in place, including upgrade of power stations, charging points, disposal of batteries etc. They can't even fix the potholes, yet they are going to be ready for electric vehicles by 2030......i can hear it now our aim was 2030 but we never realised we did not have PPE oops wrong subject...
    Last edited by Dazr; 18-11-20 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    .....i can hear it now our aim was 2030 but we never realised we did not have PPE oops wrong subject...
    Now that's more like it!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    I agree i really can't see it myself, 10 years and all the infrastructure in place, including upgrade of power stations, charging points, disposal of batteries etc. They can't even fix the potholes, yet they are going to be ready for electric vehicles by 2030......i can hear it now our aim was 2030 but we never realised we did not have PPE oops wrong subject...

they reckon at the mo we ony have about 5-10% headroom with our electricity infrastructure so everyone all electric by 2030 ! and dont forget they are pushing electric boilers etc for homes and factories over gas etc. Not gonna happen !

i am not a fan of being "pushed" into something like an EV and will be one of the last to go there, however i would throw a curve ball and go hydrogen other than being forced down a battery EV PC route unfortunately filling stations are rare but increasing : battery EV charge time 2-9 hours (depending on charge point), range of around 140 miles. Hydrogen - filling time around 6 minutes and a range of 415 miles (hyundai nexo) much more like it and an 8 hour drive to scotland wont take 3 days.
    as for battery electric motorcycles, take our ridouts for example a trip to west bay would most likely use 90% of the charge (from swindon) then you would have to stay for a few hours to charge it to come home (with no detours) providing there are charge points available.

all that being said its only new vehicles not being sold and i think existing will be catered for for the life of that vehicle, fuels and parts etc although i can see the re-emergance of the good ol breakers yard
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

New electric Harley is £30k....expensive for a 90 mile max round trip on dry weekends only
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    New electric Harley
    that sounds like the start of a joke.

The logistics and retail part of fuel (post refinery) are not particularly high margin. I suspect this means it would be quicker than people may think for petrol stations to not vanish but thin out significantly. This would lead to price rises, I've not ordered bulk fuel for retail but have in the past for commercial use and the price difference on ordering 33000 litres a week is tangible compared to 16000. The retailers will see margins shrink and will need to make up for it by passing the cost on, the little independent places just won't survive.

Using my estate as a "straw poll", so by no means accurate but still illustrative. Most of the cars here 66%+ are 10 years old at most, now most new and first time used sales these days are on some form of PCP type plan. These "rental" type plans mean the initial buyer and the 2nd buyer don't care much on the ticket price, just the monthly. That renders alot of the "cost" of the EV moot. So if we say from 2030 onward (lets ignore earlier sales) all these new cars are electric, 3-4 years after that those enter the "approved used" market. Within a decade that is the majority of my estate in electric cars. Extrapolate that across all of Tidworth and I'd bet our Petrol station is closed down before 2040. That then pushes me to just outside Faberstown to fuel up, though that is a small independent so probably shorter lifespan than Tidworth, leaving me with a 20 mile round trip to fuel the car. At this point I say "balls to that" and buy a used EV.

I think bikes are different, most are toys and passions. If I'm going out for a ride on a nice day the extra mileage for fuel wouldn't bother me, neither would price rises. I can't see fossil fuel totally vanishing, agriculture, commercial and plant will need diesel for a significantly longer time than private vehicles and (I stand to be corrected) if you are refining diesel you are also making petrol.

Obviously all of my above thoughts are based on the assumption that the current issues around charging, power supply and the like are dealt with by our Government (I struggle to type that with a straight face).

and you never know, maybe in a decade electric bikes are so awesome we are all clamoring to get one!