Notices

Thread: MAG & 2030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    'and I'd bet our Petrol station is closed down before 2040. That then pushes me to just outside Faberstown to fuel up,'

Shouldn't that read 'That then leaves me to push to just outside Faberstown.... '
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Shouldn't that read 'That then leaves me to push to just outside Faberstown.... '
    You can imagine the Electric drivers laughing as they pass, "Look at that poor Diseasal pleb". Though on the flip side I can sneer at them taking 3 days to get to Glasgow!

Some things to make you think:
    Trev - I remember seeing Hydrogen cars on Top Gear a while back, at the time i thought that's the way they will go. Like you say range and filling up much the same a petrol / diesel.
    WR6133 - Thats a good point if fuel stations shut then it gets further and further to fill up, that will drive some to move across to EV.

The other week (pre lockdown 2) i met up with a mate who always had large engine petrol cars, he was now driving a second hand Hybrid car...and was raving about. I just could not get excited about it, must be my age seemed like and elaborate iPad / car

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    Trev - I remember seeing Hydrogen cars on Top Gear a while back, at the time i thought that's the way they will go. Like you say range and filling up much the same a petrol / diesel.
    WR6133 - Thats a good point if fuel stations shut then it gets further and further to fill up, that will drive some to move across to EV.

The other week (pre lockdown 2) i met up with a mate who always had large engine petrol cars, he was now driving a second hand Hybrid car...and was raving about. I just could not get excited about it, must be my age seemed like and elaborate iPad / car

I ran a Volvo V60 PHEV for 3 years (2014-17), 75k miles. lots of long trips (Scotland, Belgium and Dusseldorf twice a year), 0 - 60 in just over 6 seconds and it averaged over 100mpg over the 3 years I owned it, superb piece of kit now available for under £15k second hand. I also ran a BMW i3 all EV for 3 years 40k miles, 120 - 140 mile range, super quick off the line, under 7 seconds to 60, great fun. 5 hours for full charge from home wall point but hardly ever charge from zero so just plug in each night and full 'tank' every morning. Servicing only very 2 years and peanuts even at BMW stealer.
    Now have a second hand BMW i3 range extender, (£21k 11,ooo miles, all the kit, 1 year BM warranty) same 130 - 140 mile range but 80+ miles from scooter motor if needed. In 5 months, 6k miles I've used the ICE engine twice as couldn't be bothered to stop on way back from airport run, 11 litres of fuel used so far, probably won't use any more for another year or so. Used it for Cornwall trip last month to see whether EV only viable for that, 213 miles one way. Charged it once on the way down, 55 mins while we had lunch ( it was fully charged in 42 minutes from about 15%) , twice on the trip back, 20 - 25 mins each while we had a coffee. Well over twice the price to charge from public charger than from home, about £10 for 120 miles, less than £4 from home.

Owning and running an EV is sooooo easy, the range thing is not an issue for the vast majority of UK drivers and the saving on fuel and servicing is huge ...... and whisper it, they're even fun ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Charged it once on the way down, 55 mins while we had lunch ( it was fully charged in 42 minutes from about 15%)
    That's where EV's fall flat for me (currently). In the 12 months pre-plague I did alot of business miles and adding hour long charging sessions to already long days, isn't an option, it would mean more nights in hotels and meals for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    I remember when vauxhall was going to launch the Ampera many moons ago that was going to be Hydrogen but the lack of filling stations killed that off and it eventually launched as a hybrid.
    for me i think the push to buy an EV is political in a similar fashion to the gov's BUY DIESEL with all its benefits
    in the great scheme of things they are not the greenest alternative when you look at how and where the parts come from and how many globe miles they travel before they get assembled in the car.
    And of course how long before the insurance companies realise the performance and say hang on you have an EV that has the acceleration/performance of a super car (some tesla's can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds) https://www.0-60specs.com/tesla/
    we will have to raise your premiums accordingly or have they already and this other shoe is waiting to drop !

definitely hydrogen for me, mpg and filling times comparable to petrol/diesel. hydrogen stations on the increase so looking more favourable BUT as they are still damn expensive as are EV's i can wait.
    I am afraid that any EV just don't float my boat

most people especially in gov seem to think EV's are a new thing, well anyone here over a certain age may remember the 60's/70's where the milkman used to come up in his 3 wheeled milk wagon EV. all the kids used to jump on it for a ride even if it was only a few yards
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    well anyone here over a certain age may remember the 60's/70's where the milkman used to come up in his 3 wheeled milk wagon EV. all the kids used to jump on it for a ride even if it was only a few yards
    I used to be a milkman at Avonmoor dairy straight out of collage (education money well spent ) I remember once a 38 ton HGV broke down over the loading dock so we slung a chain round the front into the back of a single electric milk float and it pulled it out the way as if it wasn’t there, unbelievable torque but 14mph was its lot , no heater or screen demister (but had a scraper on a string to scrape the ice of the inside screen ) always running out of power and the headlights were like tiny torches, not the best introduction to EV and maybe that’s where my intense dislike of them stems from.
    I genuinely and honestly loved that job though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    I used to be a milkman at Avonmoor dairy.
    Ernie !
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    Ernie !

Hey Badger, I reckon you’re in need of a name change

I know what you mean though mate. They were my alarm clock for years, the wurr of the float, (what a great name for it by the way) & the clanking of the bottles. I always fancied working on them though never did. I was a paper-rounder
    Everything else is shyte

Platinum Member
    I never had the fun Ernie had believe me .
    I actually turned one over on it’s side outside the old Bulford post office, jumped in and thought it was in forward gear but was in reverse and reversed it straight over the bank onto the road below, you can not begin to believe the noise and mess made by a couple of hundred milk bottles smashing, then of course the embarrassment as the fire brigade turn up as it turns out that much milk is classed as an environmental hazard.
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 21-11-20 at 09:48 AM.