Notices

Thread: S*d that for a game of soldiers !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chatterbox
    I'm not a fan of pillion either. Is it because as you age you become more of a control freak or less of a gambler ? Who knows.
    Back in my youth, a group of us we're hanging about at the local portway play park. Doing lots & lots of nothing. Someone had the idea of seeing how quick we could neck a boxed 12 pack of hofmeister. Remember them ? So off we went to procure said beverage. Ive no idea why but I was on the back of my mate's YPVS F2. On the way back to the swings, We rode the whole length of Portway on one wheel, he could pull a great wheelie, with me, white fingered, holding on to his jacket with one hand & the beers with the other, with equal gusto. All the while laughing hysterically.
    The beers were shyte & his enthusiasm cost him dear a few months later.
    These days I get nervous in the passenger seat of a car...
    Everything else is shyte

Nutters, the lot of you, or should that be the lot of us!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Nutters, the lot of you, or should that be the lot of us!
    I suspect it’s probably the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    I suspect it’s probably the latter
    I suspect you are correct
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Back in the day , I was always on the back of my dads bikes, a BSA 650 goldflash complete with Watsonian sidecar and a 350 '59 AJS. I was so young at the time I couldnt even reach the footpegs, not that was a problem in the 1970's. Also used to go pillion on my mates ypvs 350 and cbr 600, the ypvs had been sent off to the ledgendary Stan Stephens for a stage 2 tune, and it was insane. I remember racing against another yper along the a38 heading out of Filton, absolutely flat to the stop, both 2 up, wasnt you was it Kev?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Back in the day , I was always on the back of my dads bikes, a BSA 650 goldflash complete with Watsonian sidecar and a 350 '59 AJS. I was so young at the time I couldnt even reach the footpegs, not that was a problem in the 1970's. Also used to go pillion on my mates ypvs 350 and cbr 600, the ypvs had been sent off to the ledgendary Stan Stephens for a stage 2 tune, and it was insane. I remember racing against another yper along the a38 heading out of Filton, absolutely flat to the stop, both 2 up, wasnt you was it Kev?
    I wonder if it is a case of the older we get the faster we were but I recall a conversation with a good mate of mine on one of our trips to France a few years back (he had a 916, I had the same GSXR1100K I've still got now) about whether we could keep up with our then 18-22 year selfs on their LC's with us on our 916 & gixxer? Sure the 'modern' bikes were wayyyy quicker, better handling & brakes and we were much more experienced (he won the Yam Past Masters proddy challenge cup about 4 years ago, me not quite as quick ) but, on the roads we rode back then the LC's were king and we were insanely stupid so it would be a close thing. I know for sure I wouldn't want to try and keep up now!

My bro is 5 yrs older than me. He had a bike at 16 going into 6th form just as I was starting at the same school. It was 4 miles from home. Went on the back of him regularly, giving the hand signals (both types !). His first job was in the lab of a paint firm just ½ mile from the school. so it continued a while longer. I recall coming home one evening on a steady RH curve. Suddenly his body went vertical whilst the bike stayed banked. Then I saw the bollard in the middle of the road coming at my head.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    My bro is 5 yrs older than me. He had a bike at 16 going into 6th form just as I was starting at the same school. It was 4 miles from home. Went on the back of him regularly, giving the hand signals (both types !). His first job was in the lab of a paint firm just ½ mile from the school. so it continued a while longer. I recall coming home one evening on a steady RH curve. Suddenly his body went vertical whilst the bike stayed banked. Then I saw the bollard in the middle of the road coming at my head.
    That could explain a lot!
    Last edited by BB; 02-02-21 at 01:36 PM.

A couple of reminiscences;

1. One Sunday afternoon I was out on my z650 in Northampton with my mate Steve on his 350LC, and we had a couple of friends with us: Dave on my pillion and his wife Deb on the back of Steve. We were making progress around the ring road and arrived at the Upton Way roundabout and were turning right off it.... There was no traffic so Steve pitched the LC onto its side and flew round it (it's quite a big roundabout so a good speed can be maintained). Back in those days (1982) ones rate of progress was marked by how much of the bike could be dragged found corners - even most racers hadn't started knee-dragging by that time. Until that day I'd only ever touched the right-hand crash bars on my z down once, briefly. I was determined that Steve wasn't going to get away, resulting in my right-hand crash bar getting some sustained contact with the tarmac, until it levered the front tyre off the ground and down we went.... Although neither of us was really hurt, Dave wasn't impressed with the hole in the knee of his brand new Levi's...

2. From 1986 until 1992 a bunch of us made a pilgrimage every spring to Les 24 Heures du Mans (bikes, not cars) but in March 1990 I had an RTC resulting in a written-off EXUP and a broken arm and dislocated wrist. That year's Le Mans trip looked to be off for me until my mate Speaky offered to take me on the back of his new CBR1000F. I was made up not to miss out and the CBR was quite comfy, certainly better than the Genesis he'd had previously. All was fine until the return trip, which unusually that year we had to make via Cherbourg instead of the usual Le Havre - I believe it was because Superbike mag were doing a promotion and had block-booked the Sunday night Le Havre boat for their readers so we couldn't take it and had to head to Cherbourg instead. Heading up the peninsula towards the port there is a long-ish bit of dual cabbageway and as we were on a bunch of big-bore sports bikes they were naturally caned along there, and I mean properly caned as in chins on the tank, flat-out in top type stuff. Speaky was matching the other bikes and we were both hunched-down to escape the 160-odd mph wind blast... Only my left arm was in plaster so I could only hang on with my right arm, and I could feel the wind blast inching me back along the seat despite my best one-armed limpet impression. I closed my eyes and hung on as hard as I could, and it seemed like forever before they rolled off back to a relatively sedate 110mph. Not an experience that I'd recommend when unable to hang onto anything properly....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen