Notices

Thread: Takes all sorts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    now the ex policeman officer in me is curious to (not your problem i know) A-any L plates, B-did he get Insurance, C-did he re-tax it before going on his way as if i was still job i would have no hesitation in tugging such a machine on the basis of my nose twitching.

so if he did get tugged that nicely restored machine may well be on its way to the crusher by now

ps yeah i know i'm a killjoy lol
    I wasn't going to mention anything about killjoys....
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

When I sold my Duke back in 2009, the guy came down from London on the train fully booted and spurred clutching his crash hat (was going to say helmet but I know what you lot are like!) so we collected him from the station and swilled coffee until his bank transfer cleared and off he went. Never thought to ask if he had insurance...
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I get the seller to date the docs on the next day.

Then I can ride / drive 3rd party on my own insurance (not owned by me).

New tax regs are a bugger though.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    I get the seller to date the docs on the next day.

Then I can ride / drive 3rd party on my own insurance (not owned by me).
    could be a bugger for the seller tho in the event you get done by a money, sorry speed camera on the day you take it as the seller has no way to disprove it wasn't him as he "sold it" the day after. so don't tell him your name pike !
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Quote Originally Posted by Trev_P View Post
    now the ex policeman officer in me is curious to (not your problem i know) A-any L plates, B-did he get Insurance, C-did he re-tax it before going on his way as if i was still job i would have no hesitation in tugging such a machine on the basis of my nose twitching.
    I think in certain scenarios it is the sellers problem. My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is if you let them "test ride", the bike then you are legally obliged to ensure the bike and rider are both fully legal. This is because at this point the bike belongs to you and relevant law covers your obligations here (causing or permitting in relation to other than accordance or third party insurance..... 2 charges?).

Once you sell the bike you are under no obligation at all (as a private seller, I believe trade is different).

Anyway I hope the last sentence is correct, I sold a bike once to a drunk bloke at a train station who arrived with a cork lined helmet and can of Stella.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I think in certain scenarios it is the sellers problem. My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is if you let them "test ride", the bike then you are legally obliged to ensure the bike and rider are both fully legal. This is because at this point the bike belongs to you and relevant law covers your obligations here (causing or permitting in relation to other than accordance or third party insurance..... 2 charges?).

Once you sell the bike you are under no obligation at all (as a private seller, I believe trade is different).

Anyway I hope the last sentence is correct, I sold a bike once to a drunk bloke at a train station who arrived with a cork lined helmet and can of Stella.
    I don’t allow test rides full stop, learnt that the hard way years ago, had 1 person take a little Gpz 500 out for a test ride about 12 years ago and I’m still waiting for him come back and let me know if he’s buying it and another bike got dropped pulling back onto my drive, both my loss but no fault of mine.

I bet that GPZ still pisses you off now I insist on asking price in cash in my hand on the, "You broke it, you bought it", principal.

Platinum Member
    I bet that GPZ still pisses you off now .
    more than you can imagine, he left his car and his mrs parked outside and off he went then 5 mins later his mrs starts the car and drives of, it was at that point I realised I’d just given him my bike. After 12 years the urge to give him a slap hasn’t grown ANY smaller.

correct per the test ride also as an aside if they drop it and shrug shoulders at you its at your risk/cost

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    more than you can imagine, he left his car and his mrs parked outside and off he went then 5 mins later his mrs starts the car and drives of, it was at that point I realised I’d just given him my bike. After 12 years the urge to give him a slap hasn’t grown ANY smaller.

OUCH !