Notices

Thread: To nod or not to nod.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

1. Why not? 
    It costs nothing to do and if one acknowledges a scooter rider they may start to think that bikers are OK after all, rather than muttering "ignorant cnut" under their breath as you pass by, forcibly ignoring them. I'll normally acknowledge any other two-wheeled road user no matter what they're on - Harleys, dirt bikes and scooters included. The only time that I'll not make a point of doing it is when I'm engaged in a manoeuvre of some kind; braking, passing, cornering and the like, and I think that I'm quite justified in doing so without appearing as aforesaid "ignorant cnut". Most riders acknowledge, we must have done 80-odd miles this afternoon and I don't recall being blanked by anyone - not that I'm especially bothered when they do, it's their choice (ignorant cnuts).
    What does make me laugh is the super enthusiastic signallers, waving and gesticulating frantically like a shipwreck survivor seeing another vessel for the first time in years.... normally newbies, bless 'em.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    It costs nothing to do and if one acknowledges a scooter rider they may start to think that bikers are OK after all, rather than muttering "ignorant cnut" under their breath as you pass by, forcibly ignoring them. I'll normally acknowledge any other two-wheeled road user no matter what they're on - Harleys, dirt bikes and scooters included. The only time that I'll not make a point of doing it is when I'm engaged in a manoeuvre of some kind; braking, passing, cornering and the like, and I think that I'm quite justified in doing so without appearing as aforesaid "ignorant cnut". Most riders acknowledge, we must have done 80-odd miles this afternoon and I don't recall being blanked by anyone - not that I'm especially bothered when they do, it's their choice (ignorant cnuts).
    What does make me laugh is the super enthusiastic signallers, waving and gesticulating frantically like a shipwreck survivor seeing another vessel for the first time in years.... normally newbies, bless 'em.
    Saved me typing my take on the nodding thing, thanks

With the exception that I've never really got used to nodding and prefer the old school 'hand off the bar small wave' that was the norm when I started riding - old git : (

Platinum Member
    I ride a variety of bikes now and over the years and I acknowledge all bikers in one way or another.
    It just irked me a bit that as soon as my arse is on the Vespa most riders don’t notice me.
    i suspect a lot of scooter riders are in the position that I’m in where they have bigger “real” bikes but for health
    reasons they have to ride a scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    i suspect a lot of scooter riders are in the position that I’m in where they have bigger “real” bikes but for health
    reasons they have to ride a scooter.
    My sister has been a member of the Reading Offbeats Scooter club for decades, she learnt her way round engines by riding and fixing a Vespa. She no longer owns a scooter, but currently has five bikes; a 1972 CB125S, her Zed ('77 z650, her first proper bike, a keeper), a GS650 that she picked up dirt cheap and restored to running order, a Harley Sportster and a Bonneville Newchurch (limited edition from around 2015 I think). Pretty much all the members of the Offbeats who still ride have graduated to Harleys, seems that old scoot riders move from something slow, noisy and ill-handling to something slightly faster, noisy and ill-handling.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Stopped nodding and only nod if others nod first, as I didn't always get one back so got feed up with it, there is a couple on my commute that I do as I know they do, It depends on what I am wearing as well Hi-vis or my Oxford bike hoodie, so if I don't nod it is not because of your bike, I will always stop if I see someone that looks like they need up