Notices

Thread: To nod or not to nod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. To nod or not to nod. 
    Platinum Member
    Since i got my piaggio 400 and little Vespa 250 iv noticed iv turned from a nod-worthy “fellow biker” to a “scummy scooterist” , at least in the eyes of 90% of other bikers.
    when riding my other (real) bikes I get the nod, wave, foot out etc from other bikers but on the scoots it seems I’m invisible.
    Anyone else ride Both bikes AND scooters notice this?

Interesting, I've found that lately nearly everyone seems to nod to me regardless of what bike I'm on and what bike they are on. Well apart from Harley riders - they only nod to other Harley riders lol
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I only have one vice…I lie.

Wouldn't consider nodding to a scooter. Not out of snobbery, just because you Wouldn't get one back. Same goes for BMWs and Harleys.

Was leading a ride a few years ago with about 20 behind me. A similar group came the other way.

Your starter for 10 - how many total nods ???
    I only have one vice…I lie.

I like to wave to everyone, maximum effort, left hand off clutch and wave away/least a nod if I’m changing gear. It seems that Scooters rarely wave back, harleys never and I call both ‘miserable *unts’ in my helmet all the same. Everyone else seems quite friendly.

i have never nodded or acknowledged scooter or vespa riders and probably never will. could be because when i started riding there were a lot of guys going down the Mod route, they were usually a bunch of *wats
    scooters and vespa's are "normally" ridden by some spotty oik or a parka clad imbecile neither of which seem to exhibit any awareness of anything around them or any roadcraft at all and what really erks me is when the media normally report a "motorcyle" accident you can be sure they mean a 16 year old on a scooter
    apart from that i tend to nod to any other motorcycle and that includes harley's to which i do get some nods back i also acknowledge m/c cops who sometimes recipricate
    but then i don't nod to get a response i do it because i am a very nice guy........................
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

8. Why not? 
    It costs nothing to do and if one acknowledges a scooter rider they may start to think that bikers are OK after all, rather than muttering "ignorant cnut" under their breath as you pass by, forcibly ignoring them. I'll normally acknowledge any other two-wheeled road user no matter what they're on - Harleys, dirt bikes and scooters included. The only time that I'll not make a point of doing it is when I'm engaged in a manoeuvre of some kind; braking, passing, cornering and the like, and I think that I'm quite justified in doing so without appearing as aforesaid "ignorant cnut". Most riders acknowledge, we must have done 80-odd miles this afternoon and I don't recall being blanked by anyone - not that I'm especially bothered when they do, it's their choice (ignorant cnuts).
    What does make me laugh is the super enthusiastic signallers, waving and gesticulating frantically like a shipwreck survivor seeing another vessel for the first time in years.... normally newbies, bless 'em.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    It costs nothing to do and if one acknowledges a scooter rider they may start to think that bikers are OK after all, rather than muttering "ignorant cnut" under their breath as you pass by, forcibly ignoring them. I'll normally acknowledge any other two-wheeled road user no matter what they're on - Harleys, dirt bikes and scooters included. The only time that I'll not make a point of doing it is when I'm engaged in a manoeuvre of some kind; braking, passing, cornering and the like, and I think that I'm quite justified in doing so without appearing as aforesaid "ignorant cnut". Most riders acknowledge, we must have done 80-odd miles this afternoon and I don't recall being blanked by anyone - not that I'm especially bothered when they do, it's their choice (ignorant cnuts).
    What does make me laugh is the super enthusiastic signallers, waving and gesticulating frantically like a shipwreck survivor seeing another vessel for the first time in years.... normally newbies, bless 'em.
    Saved me typing my take on the nodding thing, thanks

With the exception that I've never really got used to nodding and prefer the old school 'hand off the bar small wave' that was the norm when I started riding - old git : (

Platinum Member
    I ride a variety of bikes now and over the years and I acknowledge all bikers in one way or another.
    It just irked me a bit that as soon as my arse is on the Vespa most riders don’t notice me.
    i suspect a lot of scooter riders are in the position that I’m in where they have bigger “real” bikes but for health
    reasons they have to ride a scooter.