Notices

Thread: Beating the boredom and still getting your bike fix

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    Anyway did I mention I had to push the bloody thing better part of a mile home, and a mile pushing a 400cc is a damn long way for a fat bloke with short legs!
    Well done about the MOT, shame about the push though
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Would I be correct in saying this is probably a stuck float or a blocked pilot jet?
    Could also be leak somewhere around the inlet manifold or dodgy autochoke (if it has one). I'd check them before the carb just because they are easier and you'll be removing them enroute to the carb anyways.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Could also be leak somewhere around the inlet manifold or dodgy autochoke (if it has one). I'd check them before the carb just because they are easier and you'll be removing them enroute to the carb anyways.
    What I can’t work out was it was riding really well up in till I pulled over and turned the engine off for 5 mins, from that point on it’s been an absolute turd, it’ll tick over happy as Larry all day (I hope Larrys happy anyway he’s not been on for a while) but literally as soon as I touch the throttle it bogs down and stalls.

What I can’t work out was it was riding really well up in till I pulled over and turned the engine off for 5 mins, from that point on it’s been an absolute turd, it’ll tick over happy as Larry all day (I hope Larrys happy anyway he’s not been on for a while) but literally as soon as I touch the throttle it bogs down and stalls.
    If it has an auto choke deffo try pulling it first (if it has one it'll usually be on the side of the carb with a couple wires coming from it). That old V-clic I modified alot had one and it left my Mrs stranded in Amesbury once with identical symptoms. Testing the inlet manifold is easy too shoot loads of WD40 at it while bike is running, if the idle speed changes there is an issue. Any of those or dirt blocking the carb can just happen..... if it sat for ages could be old sediment and **** in the tank and just bad luck it shifted and caused a blockage when you stopped.

Platinum Member
    If it has an auto choke deffo try pulling it first (if it has one it'll usually be on the side of the carb with a couple wires coming from it). That old V-clic I modified alot had one and it left my Mrs stranded in Amesbury once with identical symptoms. Testing the inlet manifold is easy too shoot loads of WD40 at it while bike is running, if the idle speed changes there is an issue. Any of those or dirt blocking the carb can just happen..... if it sat for ages could be old sediment and **** in the tank and just bad luck it shifted and caused a blockage when you stopped.
    how would I test the auto choke? Is it a case of taking it of and starting the bike and see if it runs ok? Cheers for the ideas

how would I test the auto choke? Is it a case of taking it of and starting the bike and see if it runs ok? Cheers for the ideas
    Yeah, remove it start bike, it may be harder to start and require you to feather the throttle a bit till warm. Once warm try cracking open throttle, if it works happy days. If not you need to remove it anyway when you pull the carb. When it's idling may as well spray wd40 all around the inlet as well, 2 birds 1 stone.

Platinum Member
    Yeah, remove it start bike, it may be harder to start and require you to feather the throttle a bit till warm. Once warm try cracking open throttle, if it works happy days. If not you need to remove it anyway when you pull the carb. When it's idling may as well spray wd40 all around the inlet as well, 2 birds 1 stone.
    Cheers il give that a whirl and see how it goes

Squirt of paint and a stand off spacer .

20200425_175304.jpg20200425_192733.jpg
    Last edited by DC; 25-04-20 at 07:32 PM.

is it just me that gets a slightly perverse kick out of making something that works using tools that really weren’t designed to make it, it’s kinda like sticking two fingers up to the whole universe and saying “see I know best”
    Needs must , you've got to make do with what you've got .

Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    Bespoke in every sense of the word.

Love it DC
    Thanks LT