Notices

Thread: Beating the boredom and still getting your bike fix

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I want to re-fit the engine dresser bars to the Bonny so have to relocate the ignition , so I'm in the process of fabricating a bracket . 3mm Alu , nuts and bolts and couple of threaded stud connectors, all of which I had in the misc box , all I need to get is an M8x70 through bolt . I did one out of 4mm MDF just to see if it fitted the desired location , and just in the process of making a stand off spacer . I'm lathe-less so so had to use the mains drill and grinder . Spinny , spinny , grindy , grindy , sandy , sandy , a little bit to go to get it to 25mm and give it a bit of finesse .

20200421_142828.jpg20200421_142919.jpg20200421_204054.jpg

Chatterbox
    Bespoke in every sense of the word.

Love it DC
    Everything else is shyte

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Chicky had expressed a wish to learn more about bikes and mechanics and last September I returned from the Classic Bol d'Or to find that she'd relieved my sister of several boxes of rust that had previously been a little Yamaha RS100 that my sis had found half-submerged in somebody's garden - it had been there since the end of the '80s and was biodegrading and literally becoming part of the scenery, and the householder gave it to my sis. Chicky paid her £50 for the lot, fair enough as my sis had stripped it right down and already bought a new piston and rings, and a few other bits that obviously needed replacing - the tinware was pretty much shot as were the wheels and swingarm. In January we'd done a fair bit of prep work and I'd tidied the engine cases, barrel and head, and reassembled it with the new piston and rings. We visited the Kempton Park auto jumble a couple of times looking for forks and wheels but the RS hasn't (yet) attained popular status so we never found anything useful. Upon leaving Kempton for the 2nd time we decided to try elsewhere and a post on the RS owners Facebook page elicited a quick response - a guy in North London had wheels and forks for sale (he was "upgrading" his RS to use YBR125 parts, something that I'd considered doing with ours to be honest) so we scooted round the M25 a bit and struck a deal - and stopped at the Ace café for a cuppa afterwards.
    We decided to park the RS project for a while as we're a bit tight for space in the garage and there were other more pressing jobs to be done, among them being selling two of the collection. Then came along the Coronavirus and lockdown and we haven't even bothered advertising the bikes yet, but with a bit of time on my hands I've dug out the RS and resumed work. Frame and swingarm have been painted, and a load of bits previously identified as needed ordered from Wemoto and Fowlups. Next job I reckon will be to tidy up the fork stanchions before the just-ordered seals and fork oil arrive - Jaydee suggested filling the pits with zinc paint and then rubbing down with very fine grade wet & dry - gotta be worth a try, and if that doesn't work, new fork stanchions are only £29.52 from Wemoto. EBay will be consulted for a pair of shocks too, as the originals are toast and any potential replacements spotted at Kempton would no doubt have had heavier springs on them as the only known correct feature was the centre mounting distances.
    More soon....
    Nice Scotty,
    I couldn't picture the bike so had to google.
    I love the zinc paint trick
    Everything else is shyte

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I want to re-fit the engine dresser bars to the Bonny so have to relocate the ignition , so I'm in the process of fabricating a bracket . 3mm Alu , nuts and bolts and couple of threaded stud connectors, all of which I had in the misc box , all I need to get is an M8x70 through bolt . I did one out of 4mm MDF just to see if it fitted the desired location , and just in the process of making a stand off spacer . I'm lathe-less so so had to use the mains drill and grinder . Spinny , spinny , grindy , grindy , sandy , sandy , a little bit to go to get it to 25mm and give it a bit of finesse .

20200421_142828.jpg20200421_142919.jpg20200421_204054.jpg
    is it just me that gets a slightly perverse kick out of making something that works using tools that really weren’t designed to make it, it’s kinda like sticking two fingers up to the whole universe and saying “see I know best”

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    is it just me that gets a slightly perverse kick out of making something that works using tools that really weren’t designed to make it, it’s kinda like sticking two fingers up to the whole universe and saying “see I know best”
    Nope, it's not just you Badge
    Everything else is shyte

Platinum Member
    Woohoo weyhay the Bergman passed with “almost” flying colours, 1 advisory for ball-end missing on front brake lever and another for slightly rusty frame but not affecting the structure integrity.
    I took it out for a celebratory ride (I actually genuinely had to collect a prescription for my bruv from Salisbury hospital as he’s in the sub 1% vulnerable group) and it actually rides really nice and rides and cruises at 80+ no problem, then I stopped for a quick vape and it started no problem but as soon as I touched the throttle the engine bogs and died.
    Would I be correct in saying this is probably a stuck float or a blocked pilot jet?

Anyway did I mention I had to push the bloody thing better part of a mile home, and a mile pushing a 400cc is a damn long way for a fat bloke with short legs!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    Nope, it's not just you Badge
    It is oddly satisfying