Notices

Thread: Beating the boredom and still getting your bike fix

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Iv spent the last 2 days pulling an old Suzuki an400 Bergman apart that iv had tucked away for a while (paid peanuts for it as a non-runner) but not had the time to spend on it.
    After 2 hours working out how to take the body work of iv de-greased and jet washed 3 years of ****e and crud away from where it’s been stood up, wire brushed away rusty frame paint and repainted, glued up and fixed a broken nose cone, cleaned the carb out etc and finely got it running after tracing a broken wire from the brake lever (started 2nd try after fixing the wire ).
    Its actually running rather nicely apart from a bit of a clatter from the variator and having just taking it for a naughty whizz down a track near me I’m quite taken with it, 1st big scooter iv ever ridden and I was amazed just how well it pulled and comfortable it is.
    Plans for tomorrow are to rip the callipers apart as they work but probably could do with a clean and fluid change then change all oils and then give it a good clean and polish.
    Then it’s book an MOT and fingers crossed time, I admit its not the prettiest but for what it owes me it can have a place in the garage if it passes.

Result Badger-Roy! Well done. Never ridden a scooter myself - well unless you count delivering a 50cc Honda love back in the 80's!

I've not touched a bike since this plague thing started. I have been gardening instead, also cooking and sewing.... I think I'm turning into a girl. Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Result Badger-Roy! Well done. Never ridden a scooter myself - well unless you count delivering a 50cc Honda love back in the 80's!

I've not touched a bike since this plague thing started. I have been gardening instead, also cooking and sewing.... I think I'm turning into a girl. Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one!

I think I'm turning into a girl. Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one!
    I should probably attend more of our events, I actually thought you were a bloke with a load of old Brit Bikes. I even had an imagined image of a late middle aged bloke, spectacular moustache riding a BSA and wearing a pudding basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    1st big scooter iv ever ridden and I was amazed just how well it pulled and comfortable it is.
    It's weird to ride a CVT that actually has some power, I thought so anyways when I had a try on one. Well done on getting it running, I've been told those maxi scooters can be quite profitable to flip, apparently weapon of choice for the phone snatchers in London.

Badger-Roy sounds like you have put the time to good use, what a great what to spend the time. Look forward to the pics or perhaps seeing it on the next ride out...... some time in the distance future....

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I should probably attend more of our events, I actually thought you were a bloke with a load of old Brit Bikes. I even had an imagined image of a late middle aged bloke, spectacular moustache riding a BSA and wearing a pudding basin.
    Magic Love it. I laughed like a drain & OH came to find out what I was cackling about.

Wot, like this?
    0_British-Gypsums-Fauld-Mine-manager-Jim-Daykin-took-part-in-the-Distinguished-Gentlemans-Ride.jpg
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Actually, this is me,
    Calne2012 cropped.jpg

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazr View Post
    Badger-Roy sounds like you have put the time to good use, what a great what to spend the time. Look forward to the pics or perhaps seeing it on the next ride out...... some time in the distance future....
    If I get really bored iv an old Peugeot Speedfight 50cc 2stroke I can play with that I was given last week by a neighbour, even got mot on it, may be worth a strip down and rebuild lol.

On the Bergman I stripped brakes today as planned and strangely it actually all went to plan, which with hindsight “should” have given me warning on what was about to come when I went on to change the fluids, brake fluid change went well, transmission oil even better, then on to engine oil, I went to undo the sump plug only to find some twonk in the past (not me I hasten to add) has completely stripped the threads out of the sump then glued the sump plug back in (yes glued). Anyway it’s now loaded in the van and it’s of to the garage tomorrow morning for the sump to be helicoiled and then MOTed so fingers, toes, legs and nuts crossed that it passes.
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 23-04-20 at 09:22 PM.

Platinum Member
    Actually, this is me,
    Calne2012 cropped.jpg
    Looking cool, nice bike.

Glued? Well, I suppose it kept it in and stopped any leaks!