Notices

Thread: Beating the boredom and still getting your bike fix

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Glued? Well, I suppose it kept it in and stopped any leaks!
    Yep glue, I suspect it was a type of resin as a gentle tap with the toffee hammer and it cracked clean away.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    Yep glue, I suspect it was a type of resin as a gentle tap with the toffee hammer and it cracked clean away.
    Some previous work undertaken by those well know mechanics Bodgit and Scarper!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Sellotape works as well...

sello.jpg
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Wot, like this?
    Attachment 1700
    Close, remove a decade and turn the beard in to a glorious tache.

Actually, this is me,
    Attachment 1701
    That's the roundabout in Calne where the photographer sets up? Bet that exhaust sounds awesome.

If I get really bored iv an old Peugeot Speedfight 50cc 2stroke I can play with that I was given last week by a neighbour, even got mot on it, may be worth a strip down and rebuild lol.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-S...oAAOSwJhFZiYqN There is always something fun about making a moped that will run the needle off the speedo.

it’s of to the garage tomorrow morning for the sump to be helicoiled and then MOTed so fingers, toes, legs and nuts crossed that it passes.
    Too late for this one but you can buy oversized plugs, recutting the thread to a bigger size at home is not too hard. If I was keeping something I'd see it as more trustworthy than a helicoil.

I have to collect some crap from work today so you'll hear me come past this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Close, remove a decade and turn the beard in to a glorious tache.
    I try and keep it trimmed

That's the roundabout in Calne where the photographer sets up? Bet that exhaust sounds awesome.
    It is indeed and nothing beats the sound of an old Brit single
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

nothing beats the sound of an old Brit single
    Cept maybe an Indian one

Cept maybe an Indian one
    Which is based on an old Brit

Which is based on an old Brit
    You got me on that my attempt to bait was poor , the Indians are arguably where they would be now had the industry not died.

I'll be honest the real Brit bikes intimidate me. separate gearboxes, points, drum brakes, weird levers in unexpected places....... all way out of my comfort zone. Give me UCE, disk brakes and if not EFI at least modern ignition systems, I know what I'm doing then.

Ah, but the old stuff can be so simple. I was on the old Ajay leading a White Horses run years ago and she started loosing power - and when you only have 16 bhp to start with,,, Anyway, limped on a couple of miles and she was sounding really odd too so stopped in a layby to check her over. Nothing obvious so restart her and then noticed the barrel was going up & down a bit with the piston! Ah, that'll be it then! My OH whipped out an adjustable, tightened everything up and away we went again to do the remaining 40 miles of the run.
    No problem.

Chicky had expressed a wish to learn more about bikes and mechanics and last September I returned from the Classic Bol d'Or to find that she'd relieved my sister of several boxes of rust that had previously been a little Yamaha RS100 that my sis had found half-submerged in somebody's garden - it had been there since the end of the '80s and was biodegrading and literally becoming part of the scenery, and the householder gave it to my sis. Chicky paid her £50 for the lot, fair enough as my sis had stripped it right down and already bought a new piston and rings, and a few other bits that obviously needed replacing - the tinware was pretty much shot as were the wheels and swingarm. In January we'd done a fair bit of prep work and I'd tidied the engine cases, barrel and head, and reassembled it with the new piston and rings. We visited the Kempton Park auto jumble a couple of times looking for forks and wheels but the RS hasn't (yet) attained popular status so we never found anything useful. Upon leaving Kempton for the 2nd time we decided to try elsewhere and a post on the RS owners Facebook page elicited a quick response - a guy in North London had wheels and forks for sale (he was "upgrading" his RS to use YBR125 parts, something that I'd considered doing with ours to be honest) so we scooted round the M25 a bit and struck a deal - and stopped at the Ace café for a cuppa afterwards.
    We decided to park the RS project for a while as we're a bit tight for space in the garage and there were other more pressing jobs to be done, among them being selling two of the collection. Then came along the Coronavirus and lockdown and we haven't even bothered advertising the bikes yet, but with a bit of time on my hands I've dug out the RS and resumed work. Frame and swingarm have been painted, and a load of bits previously identified as needed ordered from Wemoto and Fowlups. Next job I reckon will be to tidy up the fork stanchions before the just-ordered seals and fork oil arrive - Jaydee suggested filling the pits with zinc paint and then rubbing down with very fine grade wet & dry - gotta be worth a try, and if that doesn't work, new fork stanchions are only £29.52 from Wemoto. EBay will be consulted for a pair of shocks too, as the originals are toast and any potential replacements spotted at Kempton would no doubt have had heavier springs on them as the only known correct feature was the centre mounting distances.
    More soon....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen