Notices

Thread: Melted Microfibre cloth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Melted Microfibre cloth. 
    I started my old BSA yesterday, as there's little else to do at present. All went well until I let a microfibre cloth touch a very hot chrome exhaust. The result is a mess. Looking on the 'net there's a variety of solutions, ranging from wire wool (Eh!?!) to oven cleaner or vinegar. Some recommend heating it back up and wiping with a pure cotton cloth. I just wondered if anyone out there has successfully dealt with this, without damage to the metalwork. Thanks

I melt my boot on my Enfield exhaust everytime i ride it

My method is warm it up again , not super hot and then go at it with an oily cotton rag. Method 2 if cold is one of those non scratch scourers soaked in oil but that takes more effort.

Oops, no idea as I've never done it (so far fingers crossed)
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    I melted my jacket on my guzzi exhaust, a rag soaked in WD40 while it was still hot whipped it of no problems.

Chatterbox
    I had a plastic carrier bag wrap itself around my exhaust header years ago.
    It was a windy day and had just blown across the road in front of me.
    I took a bit of shifting, I think I just hacked it off with a screwdriver in the end

I don't recommend that solution for you Bugsy.
    There are far better methods listed above.
    Everything else is shyte

Thanks for all the suggestions. The bike's a minter so I don't want to mark it unnecessarily. I'll start it this afternoon and try the heat and WD40 trick. Cheers All.

Well, 2 lessons learnt. 1) Be more careful with microfibre cloths. 2) If heat got the mess there, heat will get it off. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes. Using a cotton rag soaked in WD40 I rubbed the hot pipe. The crap came off as a brown sticky mess (no, it didn't stink!). I repeated it once after the pipe cooled and the jobs a cracker. Cheers.

Chatterbox
    Nicely done Sir
    Everything else is shyte

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugsyB View Post
    Well, 2 lessons learnt. 1) Be more careful with microfibre cloths. 2) If heat got the mess there, heat will get it off. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes. Using a cotton rag soaked in WD40 I rubbed the hot pipe. The crap came off as a brown sticky mess (no, it didn't stink!). I repeated it once after the pipe cooled and the jobs a cracker. Cheers.
    Is there anything WD40 can’t do?

Good result there