Notices

Thread: Anyone wear a neck brace?

1. Anyone wear a neck brace? 
    After chatting to a mate who broke his neck in a crash I decided to invest in a brace.
    After a lot of research I went for a Leatt stx as it had the best reviews.
    It fits well and is pretty light.
    The only problem is it makes lifesavers practically impossible.
    So it is likely to cause me to have an accident but I'm less likely to break my neck when I do.
    Anyone else have experience with this problem?

Not good if you can't do lifesavers!
    Never tried one, although I'm sure I know someone who has used one. I'll have think.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I haven't really thought about buying one for the road, would an airbag vest offer any protection? they look a bit less constrictive and ive seen quite a few guys wearing them on track.

Lifesavers aren’t needed in MX races. It’s a question of balancing risks in your own mind Dan. Over the years I’ve had more than my share of stacks but (touch wood) have never broken my neck, but being prevented from doing a lifesaver look would no doubt have brought the story to an end a long time ago....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Cheers for the input.
    The Leatt Stx is specifically made for road riding but I can't see how its it's possible.
    I think I'm going to send it back as it almost felt like riding blind.
    Lifesavers are far too important.
    My friend was adamant that the neck brace would've saved him and implored me to get one.
    The trouble is, before he broke his neck, he had never ridden with one so doesn't have any experience of it.
    Airbag vest might be the way to go.
    Found this on FCMoto: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...0aAg_dEALw_wcB

Are you still riding the ZX Dan? If so, the brace would be a serious impediment to rearward vision, but on an upright bike it might be less of an issue. If that's the case it would explain things, but I'm not suggesting changing bikes to keep the brace, that would be a bit daft, unless you've taken your mate's implorings to heart and can no longer ride without it....
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Yes, still got the zx and no plans to change.
    You're right. It's not the easiest bike to do a lifesaver on at the best of times...