Notices

Thread: Motorcycle Tyre Repair

1. Motorcycle Tyre Repair 
    Evening All.

Starting to make plans on getting the VFR back on the road for this year. Poor thing has been laid up since April last year due to my Op - but I've just been fully discharged last month so I'm fit and well to get back in the saddle.

Problem is, noticed a screw poking out of the rear tyre following it's last ride last year and it has now finally deflated. Annoying as its got plenty of life left in it, so looking to replace. However, one place has offered to do a 'permanent carcass repair' (subject to an inspection) and states it's not a plug and will only cost £20. I've always been very wary of motorcycle tyre repairs and always insisted on new - but what do you guys think?

Pete

Like you say you have been wary of repairs. I would go for new, its the only thing in contact with the road. I would not be able to relax knowing its been repaired, even if only £20.... Just my thoughts. Good to hear you will be back out on the bike, just in time for spring arriving..

Nice one Pete ! It'll be good to see you out and about again , I could feel your pain , it's a long time to do without . I had 20 months , from the end of 2013 until the middle of 2015 unable to ride the bike after reasonably significant spinal surgery , and was not a happy boy . I'm sure that sort of repair would be just fine . But having been a while I reckon you should treat yourself and the bike to some new boots

Aye! New boots for me are also on the list! Just got caught out last month with an insurance claim on my car which cost me my hard saved pennies that I put aside for the bike! (Lying b**tch side swiped my car on a roundabout after she moved into my lane - said I swerved into her!!! No witnesses, no CCTV, etc so gone 50/50 and cost me my excess - thankfully have NCD ! .... Now have Dashcam)

Start pulling it apart over the next week or so and start tidying it up along with a quick oil change ready for the MoT.

Heck of a scar on both legs now - reconstructive MSAP Skin Flap around my achilles tendon area - never going to be 100% but looking forward to riding again.

Pete

Platinum Member
    Iv had a tyre repaired before but to be honest it was a waste of money as I ended up having the tyre replaced about 6 weeks later.
    Not because it leaked or anything but I just didn’t enjoy riding the bike as I didn’t trust the tyre anymore so I couldn’t relax and “enjoy myself”.
    I’d like to think that if it’s legal to repair bike Tyres then the repaired tyre must be 100%safe, the problem is that voice in ya head saying otherwise gets very loud as your leaning into a corner doing a ton with cars coming the other way .

Never had a problem with repairs pro and DIY ones. I did a string repair to a tyre at henstridge and then rode down the strip, so done properly they are fine. That said if they knock your confidence just get new.

For me personally and because i am quite anal retentive when it comes to having a "safe" motorcyle so tend not to take the easy cheaper options, it would be new tyres for me everytime.
    examples of my retentiveness;
    Advised brake pads are approaching wear marker : Had new pads fitted
    rode my bike (until the sudden stop) out of my garage forgetting the disc lock was on, no apparant damage to the disc : Had new one fitted anyway just in case
    at the end of the day its about peace of mind i think
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

As per WR, I have had several repairs with NO problem. Thousands of miles after. If a pro will do it, it will be OK. If it's at all dodgey, they won't do it.

Another consideration is that the tyre has been disfigured for a while, and therefore be less than perfect.

Moi ? I'd let the moth out of my wallet and get a nice new one.
    I only have one vice…I lie.