Notices

Thread: Opinions on hitting rev limiter

Hybrid View

1. Opinions on hitting rev limiter 
    Platinum Member
    Iv been having a friendly argument with a mate with regards to hitting the Rev limiter. He’s adamant that doing so will cause the engine to explode or summit whereas I’m more inclined to think it’s there to stop the engine revving to the point of damaging itself.
    Whilst Iv never been one to ride to the point of hitting the limiter on a regular basis there are times that it does happen.
    I just can’t see the point of having a rev limit that will still cause damage if you reach it.

So opinions on who’s right me or him, or both.

I thought anywhere in red on the dial means continued running at that speed would cause damage. So the odd blip up into it is no issue, but wouldn’t want to be there all day on the motorway.. site there must be some videos of people seeing how long a car will last at full revs...

Quote Originally Posted by GezTheHealer View Post
    I thought anywhere in red on the dial means continued running at that speed would cause damage. So the odd blip up into it is no issue, but wouldn’t want to be there all day on the motorway.. site there must be some videos of people seeing how long a car will last at full revs...
    I thought the same. Now looking forward to someone sourcing an over revving car video...
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-Roy View Post
    Iv been having a friendly argument with a mate with regards to hitting the Rev limiter. He’s adamant that doing so will cause the engine to explode or summit whereas I’m more inclined to think it’s there to stop the engine revving to the point of damaging itself.
    Whilst Iv never been one to ride to the point of hitting the limiter on a regular basis there are times that it does happen.
    I just can’t see the point of having a rev limit that will still cause damage if you reach it.

So opinions on who’s right me or him, or both.
    I'd say you are, while there is a red portion of the rev counter any sustained running with the revs in there can cause damage, however temporary ventures into it should not cause damage (unless the engine is fooked anyway) and certainly the factory set rev limiter will kick in long before any damage is likely to occur even if the throttle is on the stop but again not designed for sustained use, eg: stationary with the throttle pinned.
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    Thanks for the opinions people.
    it’s nice to be right for a change .

Chatterbox
    You get my vote too Badger

You should occasionally work an engine hard i think.
    To help keep it free.

‘Use it or lose it’ so the saying goes
    Last edited by Last Train; 05-02-20 at 07:52 PM.
    Everything else is shyte

It's good to give an engine a good workout now and again
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Agree engines occasionally need to be woken up...

Depends on the bike.

Modern Japanese bike, fine when I had a 400 that was bounced off the limiter from cold in the first couple of gears many times daily for 2 years.

Enfield bullet or similar, not so fine. I think I left Trevs burning oil after bouncing it off what I thought was the limiter a handful of times keeping up with him on his x7.