Notices

Thread: Track day ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Jer's minor correction doesn't alter the fact that Combe only has 2 pros in its favour concerning trackdays, as Dan pointed out; proximity and food. I've ridden every regular trackday circuit in England and Wales (except Croft, Lydden Hill and Rockingham), and raced at a number of them too. Combe even sits below Llandow in my list of preferences for the following reasons:
    1) Draconian noise limits
    2) ten minutes/hour track time
    3) Compulsory out-laps following an instructor
    4) Boring layout - all right-handers, apart from the chicanes
    5) CHICANES!
    6) it's very BUMPY!
    I've pretty much stopped doing trackdays now, but I'd rather drive 3 hours to Cadwell than ten minutes to Combe for track time. You pays yer money, you makes yer choice. For a first-timer it's probably fine, but there are many far better places to ride on track, shame they're all so far away. Never mind, the Circuit of Wales will be finished soon... won't it?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by jer r1 View Post
    Not accurate, they may not run conventional novice, inter and fast groups but they do put out new to track groups. Any rider is able to use the services of on track instructors for as long as they want. They also ask you your level of track experience and tend to put the faster more experienced track riders in the first few groups.
    And you've just highlighted the problem.
    I'll decide whether I'm novice, intermediate or fast. Not some office monkey who has never ridden before.
    On paper I'd be in the fast group. In reality (due to the amount of time between my track days and the fact I'm on my road bike) I should be in the novice or intermediates.
    As for the instructors, they are not professionals by any stretch.
    One time at combe I asked an instructor to check my lines and after 2 laps he f*cked off. When I pulled him aside later he said "Sorry about that. I saw someone I used to race with go past and I couldn't let him get away. You look like you know what you're doing though"

Southwest bikers run a trackday at Llandow, £65 for the day which is a bargain, if you fancy giving it a go. Friday June 5th , 3 groups and a really good place to start track daying