Notices

Thread: Track day ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok will be my first time so bricking it tbh I might have to invest in a one piece suit🙄

I tagged along on a Castle Combe track day (on my Guzzi Griso!) with some of the WB crew a couple of years ago, super friendly and Gerry is just about the most helpful guy you can wish for. My tyres were okay to ride there and back on (just as well as getting the lump in and out of a van is not easy) but I wasn't exactly tearing up the circuit, did manage to get past a 'less experienced' R1 rider though and had great fun exploring mine (and the sidestand's) limits.
    Definitely recommended

a slight detour on the subject - i looked a while ago regarding road use exhausts and noise, it seems to be pegged at 96db but can't find if thats at a particuler rev range/speed. i have bs/eu stamped road/race cans on at the moment with removable db killers and with the killers out according to my phone app (probably not accurate) at idle they read 83db and at 2000 rpm they are 89db at 1mtr . obviously they get louder when the taps are open.
    does any one know what the parameters are for testing noise levels ?
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

At combe its 3/4 throttle measured from 0.5m at a 45degree angle and they are very fussy about it. As stated by Wes you can get your bike tested before booking, just turn up on a bike track day and ask. Normally quiet after the 9 oclock rush.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasZxr600 View Post
    ....i have a ninja j2 with a stubby micron can so no sure it's 100db
    That will DEFINITELY fail the noise test at Combe. Due to the NIMBYs their noise test procedure is more draconian than at any other circuit regularly used for trackdays. A test at a normal circuit will be with the throttle held at a steady 7,000rpm on a 600. At Combe they stipulate 3/4 of maximum revs, which on a J2 I'd expect to be around 10,500rpm. R6 and GSX-R600 models from around 2006-7 fail the Combe test with a standard exhaust. Don't waste your time taking it there unless you can fit a standard can on it beforehand.

As a beginner on track your tyres will be fine, as long as they aren't shot to begin with. Some people mistakenly believe that it's OK to use worn-out tyres on track as there are no restrictions like on the road. Wrong. On track your tyres will get used harder than they will on the road and any deficiencies in their remaining life will soon make themselves apparent. Unlike for racing there's no scrutineering before bikes go on track, but if one of the organisers spots knackered tyres in the holding area you'll be told to replace them or go home. Even as a beginner you'll be riding faster, braking harder and leaning further than you've ever managed on the road, so make sure that your bike is in tip-top condition; tyres, brakes, suspension, oil etc.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Ok dokie no track day for me then don't have standard can anymore chucked it as it was dented and scraped

Ok dokie no track day for me then don't have standard can anymore chucked it as it was dented and scraped
    Well, not at Combe anyway lol
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

you can get db killers cheap on eBay, they look crap but work

Combe isn't the best place for a 1st track day.
    1st off, it's a bloody fast circuit with very little run off areas.
    There are also no garages, there are no "groups" so a novice will be riding with advanced riders. (Turning into the chicane before Camp and having someone pass you doing twice your speed is very unnerving) and the noise restrictions are ridiculous.
    The only redeeming things are: It's close and the food is pretty good.

Not accurate, they may not run conventional novice, inter and fast groups but they do put out new to track groups. Any rider is able to use the services of on track instructors for as long as they want. They also ask you your level of track experience and tend to put the faster more experienced track riders in the first few groups.