Notices

Thread: Motocross/scrambler/off roader

1. Motocross/scrambler/off roader 
    Platinum Member
    Road rider 30 years, never rode off road, if i wanted to start, what bike (low maintenance too) would be a good bike to start with? Not new, S/H, about £2k 'ish.

I assume from the heading you want to scramble as opposed to trail riding? Scramblers are frowned upon on trails.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Platinum Member
    Err dunno, if i was to take it over the 'plain', what would i be doing?

Hopefully trail riding on a street legal trail bike on legal byways or your steed could be seized and crushed!

They are getting tough up there and have just released footage of a tank running over a seized quad bike!
    https://www.spirefm.co.uk/news/local...S3y2A.facebook
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Might be worth looking at the Wiltshire TRF public FB page and you can see what they get up to, you can also find advice on on bikes, kit etc. It's a bit dear to join up (£56.50 for first year) but you get lots of trail rides posted on the private Wiltshire TRF FB page suitable for all capabilities so you can learn your way around without getting into trouble. You can also ride along as a guest to see if it's what you want to do.
    Regarding bikes you can ramble round the plains perimeter road on your normal street bike.
    However I wouldn't recommend riding off road alone anywhere in case you have a problem.

Platinum Member
    Ok das macht nichts, i am looking at doing the same thing in Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Ok das macht nichts, i am looking at doing the same thing in Belgium.
    You looking to do the Trans European Trail?

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Err dunno, if i was to take it over the 'plain', what would i be doing?
    Probably walking home to be honest as the land wardens are seizing bikes every chance they get the last year.

I've done some (not a lot) trail/mx/super moto riding on various machines and I think the Honda CRF 250 is a hard machine to beat. It'll do everything you ask of it, is built to a high standard and will start pretty much first time, every time.