Notices

Thread: Advice on Selling a Bike

1. Advice on Selling a Bike 
    Hi,

I'm looking to sell my bike and have noticed that there are a number of options online, which generally fall into the following categories:

1) Advertise online for private sale - this requires a fee to be paid to allow you to advertise and has different pricing options giving you various additional benefits.
    2) Sell directly to companies that give you a quote and arrange a collection date.

Option 2 sounds easiest to me and I've had to use a similar kind of company in order to scrap my car, however given that my bike is worth significantly more than my old car, I'm concerned that this option is less secure. The idea of someone turning up, taking my bike and promising the funds will be with me by the end of the day then driving off kind of makes me concerned that this option is vulnerable to fraudsters.

I was just wondering what experiences people here have had in using the above options and what advice you might have for selling in general.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Phasmid
    "A mere frenzied instance in eternity" - The School of Life

A mate sold his z750 to one of those companies and they gave him over book value. I think it ended up in Denmark where bikes are more expensive.
    I've sold a couple of bikes on eBay with good results.

Caveat venditor - stay awaay from G*mtree

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningBare View Post
    Caveat venditor - stay awaay from G*mtree
    why? Iv sold literally dozens of bikes on gumtree over the last year or so and the only trouble Iv had is a couple of knobs arranging to view and not turning up, as far as I'm concerned that's the best place to sell as there's no fees whatsoever and as the seller you have complete control, if anything goes wrong with the sale I.E. accepting payment by cheque or online payments etc that bounce or something then it's no ones fault but your own. Only accept payment in cash and check for fake notes or bank transfer and make sure it's cleared (actually phone your bank) and your home and dry.
    Last edited by Badger-Roy; 07-09-19 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Alcohol

I've always sold private and had no issue. eBay/Facebook/Gumtree/MCN/Auto trader even Shpock. Lots of options now. Cash in hand before they ride it anywhere course. Both times, first person who came to see bought them. Put it up at what you think is a fair price, know what your happy to take for it and make sure its nice and clean before they come looking