Notices

Thread: Daytime running lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Daytime running lights 
    My van has l.e.d. DRL around the headlights which come on automatically.
    I've recently had a few close calls with people pulling out in front of me (nothing new there) but the difference is they're looking straight at me and give a little wave.
    There can only be 2 reasons for this:
    1. They see my kind face and assume I'm going to let them out.
    2. They see the bright lights and think I've flashed them.
    For something that is designed as a safety feature it seems potentially dangerous.
    Anyone else experienced this?
    I haven't had it happen on the bike yet but it would be a lot worse and is a bit worrying.
    Attached Images

I think it's the way some LED's cast the light (if that's the right term), I've pulled out on people with LED DRL's (surrounding the headlight like yours) a couple of times because a quick turn of my head and their vehicle going over bumps looked like they were flashing their lights.

some cars have a corning light which comes on which could be seen as a"flash". Flashing is some thing we do to "flash someone out" but actually its a warning that your approaching, the message is now very unclear

You're right. The front fog lights come on in the direction you're turning.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I think it's the way some LED's cast the light (if that's the right term), I've pulled out on people with LED DRL's (surrounding the headlight like yours) a couple of times because a quick turn of my head and their vehicle going over bumps looked like they were flashing their lights.
    I was chatting to a mate who had a mouthful of abuse, accusing him of repeatedly flashing his headlights, from a woman driving in front of him. When he explained that it's due to the lights and showed her the difference between dipped and main beam she told him to F*** off.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    I was chatting to a mate who had a mouthful of abuse, accusing him of repeatedly flashing his headlights, from a woman driving in front of him. When he explained that it's due to the lights and showed her the difference between dipped and main beam she told him to F*** off.
    Women drivers... sigh...
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Some people react badly when it's pointed out to them that they're an irrational asshole who got it wrong...
    Last edited by Scotty; 04-07-19 at 01:16 PM.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

If you stare at the sun it’s bloody bright. Some people seem to stare into headlights and wonder why they blind themselves. My MTS LEDs were so bright I was flashed at so many times and got lots of abuse. I pulled out on a car in my car on a mini roundabout that had an LED that was surrounding the little orange indicator. I couldn’t see that the indicator on, as the LED masked it!

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    My van has l.e.d. DRL around the headlights which come on automatically.
    I see your problem, your van has a grumpy face. you need this van!
    happy van.jpg
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    If you stare at the sun it’s bloody bright. Some people seem to stare into headlights and wonder why they blind themselves. My MTS LEDs were so bright I was flashed at so many times and got lots of abuse. I pulled out on a car in my car on a mini roundabout that had an LED that was surrounding the little orange indicator. I couldn’t see that the indicator on, as the LED masked it!
    My van automatically dips the l.e.d. when the idicator is activated to avoid the problem but I've nearly been caught out the same as you.