Notices

Thread: Avoiding France?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Avoiding France? 
    I’m planning a trip in August onto the continent. I was told to avoid France now because of the lower speed limits and head for Belgium. Is that true for France? I’m not going to ride like a loony but 50mph does seem dull..
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Wow, had heard about it but forgotten. It comes in on 1st July. I seen there is also mention of a 'Crit'Air vignette' (clean Air) sticker but don't know if that also applies to bikes.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

from what i can gather is that any vehicle that is euro 3 and below will have a bad time in france especially if you dont have the windscreen sticker showing the emissions CO2. euro 4 is the current (greenest) standard with 5 due to pounce sometime soon and as gov's want us all to drive the latest greenest vehicles no doubt france will hold the euro 4 standard as gospel
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

The lower speed limit came in 1st July last year in France and, so far. only four main cities require a clean air sticker. They're not expensive (a few euro's) but do need to be bought in advance, they are only required if you plan to visit the city centres, not the best use of two wheel time anywhere and certainly not in a country like France with thousands of miles of glorious, quiet roads.

I've been over three times on a bike since the lower limit came in, no problem, same as riding here in the UK, if you're reasonable, keep your eyes open and don't ride like a loon then you'll be fine. If you fancy a blast then it's still eminently possible just you risk a fine, same as here. It hasn't suddenly become a police state so and no one should let headlines put them off enjoying what still is a wonderful country for riding a bike and one so easy to access for us here in the South.

Careful with the hi viz though as you may find yourself manning a barricade ; )

Have fun!

Cheers all. I think a few of my mates read too much in the Daily Hate so have a skewed view. Although changing the thread slightly we did take quiet a bit of **** off people for Brexit last time in France and Belgium. One French guy intimated as he thought that “all British people hated the French! now” I assume he reads the French Daily Hate too!!

Platinum Member
    Don't forget your hi viz reflective helmet stickers, 4 separate stickers are required I believe covering front, back left and right sides of helmets. I can see them wanting a man waving a red flag to walk in front soon as well.

the speed limits in france are arbitrary (if your'e french) we have relatives from jersey (which is almost french )who regularly drive in france and keep strictly to the limits because the gendarmes are a bit over zealous, however they say french drivers always overtake (often dangerously) and at well in excess of the speed limit but they seem to be ignored. one rule for them and all that lol
    If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It

Platinum Member
    I drive into France every Sunday, and out every Friday, from Belgium, and this is news to me. Either way, been belting it for 6 months plus, and never had the filth chase me, car or bike, Lille is mental on a Friday, but they cannot move out of the way fast enough, and all the helmet sticker bollocks is just that, bollocks for tourists.

Platinum Member
    Just been chatting to a french colleague, this speed limit was not implemented, the gilet jaunes forced a reversal of legislation. Local governments can implement if they desire, but it is not compulsory.